National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 366] Re: Numeracy

mev at litwomen.org mev at litwomen.org
Fri Jun 23 11:14:15 EDT 2006

hmmm...
about manipulatives...though some commercial products were named, and
the suggestion that "cost" was a reason for why they are not used in
ABE....
I think the point of manipulatives is to make numeracy-related concepts
both visual and kinesthetic. So once we have a sense of what a specific
manipulative might be used for, I think we could be creative about how
to acquire them....perhaps learners could help make them (to explain
the why) and they could be left in the classroom for future
use...colored paper cut in shapes, clean leftover plastic food
containers of all sizes, children's building blocks, deck of cards,
various grains and beans of differing shapes and sizes -- heck, even a
bag of M&Ms or different kinds of cookies could be used -- in this
regard, I think we're only limited by our imagination!

as this conversation progresses, though, I find myself asking what it
has to specifically do with women and literacy? Several suggestions
seem fairly generic - not particularly gender-specific to women.

Andrea offered one suggestion -- women have typically not been
encouraged to consider financial or money management issues in the way
that men might be. The overwhelming (or assumed?) sense that math
anxiety is typical among women (more so than among men) could be
another connection. Does the suggestion to use manipulatives correspond
to women's learning theory or does it have more to do with multiple
intelligences contexts for learning?

I often wonder -- Are there keys in women's learning theory or specific
gender-based concerns that can help us to understand women's
relationship to numeracy/math, especially in ABE?
I wonder if is has to do more with socialization and structures of
power -- than anything to do directly with math...

why do I say that... well, here's my own theory (for what it's worth).
Think about what has considered to be "typically" women's work....and
how math-related they all are...
cooking -- need to understand relationships of amounts, volumes,
measurements -- how much of what to use, when, to feed how many....etc.
fabric arts -- counting stitches, how much thread, yards, how big is
ther person being sewn for...etc.
gardening -- how much space will something take in relation to other
plants, how much water, food, length of growing time
astrology, farming, childcare, transportation, home repair, food
storage, bargain shopping, bartering (how much is something worth
really) -- so much of common "women's work" and everyday survival DOES
depend on a certain familiarity with "figuring."

I think that as math became more associated with money management
(class / power) and abstract theoretical "higher" problem-solving, the
more it became removed from women's hands -- "closed" and made
"mysterious - even frightening for women. And I do believe it has to do
with power and access -- basically, women's self-sustainability and
self-sufficiently.

that's my rant for the day

also, I'd venture to guess that math may be a great "equalizer" for
women ABE learners as well as ABE teachers -- in this subject area, we
may be most like our students in comfort and expertise, than not!

by the way - check out these websites on women mathematicians...
http://womenshistory.about.com/cs/sciencemath1/tp/aatpmathwomen.htm

http://www.agnesscott.edu/lriddle/women/

http://www.nwhp.org/tlp/links/links.html#math

Mev

WE LEARN
Women Expanding: Literacy Education Action Resource Network
www.litwomen.org/welearn.html

Mev Miller, Ed.D., Director
182 Riverside Ave.
Cranston, RI 02910