National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 348] Re: math anxiety

Corey Zimmerman midnightmorningglory at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 21 16:52:59 EDT 2006

Judy and everyone,

This is a not a direct response to Judy's post, although I have to admit
reading a post from someone else who also would rather play with numbers
than words has intrigued me enough to write. So...

My job is as a community-based researcher in the field of early care and
education. My work is about responding to research questions posed by the
community, working with the community to gather the data to answer the
questions, and then giving the community back the data to take action. As I
have produced more and more reports, it has started to trickle back to me
that folks need help understanding how to read data. How do you look at a
graph and understand what it's telling you? How do you critically read a
statistic? How do you read data that is displayed on a map? How do you take
data and use it in key decisions? These skills are all second nature to me,
but I have begun to think of them as a type of "data literacy". Data
literacy in the manner of skills for how to read and gain meaning from
numbers. This current conversation has me intrigued because I am realizing
that perhaps this set of skills are also called numeracy skills, and perhaps
there are a lot of other folks already out there thinking about numeracy
skills and teaching them to adults. So all of that to say I am curious to
hear from other folks about their experiences teaching data literacy to
adults? Any suggestions of resources that define data literacy and discuss
how to teach it to adults (adults who have a range of education levels from
GED/HS diploma to Master's degrees, but mostly all experience some level of
math anxiety, and certainly the overwhelming majority of who are women), I
would be appreciative to hear them.

Thanks for your time and to Judy for moderating this discussion,
Corey

* ~ Faring thee well now. Let your life proceed by its own design ~ *

Corey Zimmerman
em: midnightmorningglory at hotmail.com