National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 324] Re: women and literacy reading group

Cuban, Sondra s.cuban at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Jun 18 04:03:08 EDT 2006

Daphne, I've started a reading group on women writers and researchers on the topic of women and literacy---so we'll read anything from Anna Robinson-Pant's work to Sapphire to the Oakland Readers series on women. The group includes women lecturers, researchers, doctoral and masters students from Education, Religious Studies, and, Educational Research. Everyone in the group is interested in issues related to women and literacy from different angles. Thats what I mean. The staff learning centre at the university offers literacy courses to those who want literacy and language instruction. I think your idea of starting a women and literacy reading group for women literacy learners is a good one. It would be different than what the staff centre offers--using a reading group venue might be a lot of fun too. I'll think about how that could work! Thanks, Sondra