National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy] confidentiality

Daphne Greenberg alcdgg at langate.gsu.edu
Sun Jan 22 17:30:06 EST 2006

Nicole,
WOW!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I encourage everyone to look at pages 6 and 7 for an example of a confidentiality agreement (go to:
http://www.womenscenterofjax.org/pdf/volunteer_app.pdf )
I am curious what others think about this example? Also, does anyone else on this listserv have a confidentiality policy that she/he can share with us? If not, do you think that it is important to have one?
Daphne

>>> nicwhite at comcast.net 01/18/06 9:58 AM >>>

Daphne,
I am attaching a link to the Women's Center of Jacksonville's volunteer application packet. On pages 6 and 7 of the packet, you will find our confidentiality agreement that all volunteers are required to sign (as well as all staff of course). Hope this helps....

http://www.womenscenterofjax.org/pdf/volunteer_app.pdf

Also, the more I thought about this topic and the story you shared, the more I realized how confidentiality is so much more than an agreement on a piece of paper (though the document is necessary and important in itself). It's about a spirit of respect, and acknowledgment of a person's right to privacy and private conversation (in the case of the story you shared). The environment that we have here at the Women's Center lends itself very well to upholding that spirit. Though the actual confidentiality document is vital, the respect and trust between any client/student and service provider/tutor/teacher comes first (in my opinion).

Nicole

--
Nicole White
Program Coordinator