National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 619] Re: Update on Women and Literacy list

Brian, Dr Donna J G djgbrian at utk.edu
Mon Oct 23 11:48:11 EDT 2006

As a member of Daphne's list and as the current moderator of the
Poverty, Race, and Literacy list, I have been following this discussion
with much interest. I posed a similar query to my list to see their
response, and they have not as yet expressed much concern about
consolidating the lists. I also did the math and figured out that 41 %
of my list are already current members of the Women and Literacy List,
so maybe that is why Poverty/Race list members are not expressing many
concerns. My own impression is that, with Daphne continuing as the
moderator, we will still have her gentle ways of encouraging sharing and
discussion, and I think she will be quite capable of extending her
methods to the enlarged focus of the combined lists while still
specifically encouraging discussion of issues which are primarily
women's issues. I might be wrong, but I don't anticipate as much
difference between the current Women and Literacy list and the new
combined list as some of you seem to think might occur. I do think the
current members of the Poverty, Race, and Literacy List will be
sensitive and non-intimidating. And I think they will enjoy having
Daphne as a moderator.

Donna Brian