National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 540] Re: the other, ourselves

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Sun Sep 3 16:52:20 EDT 2006

i want to add a note, too.

It is possible for me to say about my hospitalized friend, "Oh, he is
low on serotonin." That is not going to get me anywhere. How come he
got low on serotonin? How does this manifest in his behavior? What
triggered this?

This is where talk therapy comes in; the chemicals can't do it all.
The doc can listen to what is said, which will contain indications of
the medical problem.

In the classroom, I think writing is close to this; also, working with
others to crate a good environment--I'll try to find the reference for
this.

Andrea
On Sep 2, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Ryan Hall wrote:

> It's just a coincidence that I am able to give the author of this

> book, but

> here it is for those of you who are interested- "The Drama of the

> Gifted

> Child: The Search for the True Self" was written by Alice Miller.

> Ryan

> On 9/2/06 9:47 PM, "Bonnita Solberg" <bdsunmt at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Your statement is right on Shirley; bio-chemical

>> explanations often elicit simplistic explanations for

>> complicated processes. It would seem logicial that

>> methods employed to reverse negative experiences

>> embedded in our body chemistry would take as many

>> years to reverse as there were years of the

>> experience, absent a traumatic interruption of the

>> neuro net such as brain injury or outside chemical

>> intervention. The best we can do I think is to

>> provide a safe space for all our students, not knowing

>> to what degree they may or may not have been abused.

>> "The Drama of the Gifted Child" speaks of abuse in a

>> more global sense than physical, sexual or mental

>> abuse and may be of interest to the members of this

>> list. Sorry I can't remember the author. Bonnita

>> --- sjrhodes at tampabay.rr.com wrote:

>>> Thank you for your posting, Bonnita - This makes a

>>> lot of sense to me, especially with new research out

>>> on mediation/stress reduction methods and

>>> documenting our changing of neurological brain

>>> patterns - so, by practicing positive thinking,

>>> releasing the painful memories, reducing stress and

>>> taking care of ourselves, e.g. proper nutrition,

>>> exercise, etc. etc. = Fine-tuning??

>>> Why does this sound too easy? Yes, I think I get

>>> it, and I guess that's where we are right now, in

>>> the context of the discussion, and in our own lives.

>>> Don't most of you think that by providing basic

>>> needs and support is a way to break down the long

>>> term process to promote learning, is somewhat up to

>>> the provider of the instruction to give the learner

>>> environment a "safe" place that is free of abuse and

>>> discussion regarding such?

>>> That's what I think, anyway. I do believe that

>>> keeping ourselves healthy is key, however, if a

>>> trauma victim is "obsessing" and unable to release

>>> themselves from the "biochemical component of abuse"

>>> then that is what 'other' professionals and / or

>>> services provide, and we can make these known and

>>> update our resources by providing a network of

>>> community services - as ESL teachers or volunteers,

>>> we really may not know how deep the pain is that we

>>> are dealing with and are we equipped to step into

>>> deeper waters?

>>> Maybe by our own example as mentors throughout the

>>> learning process, our students will try to increase

>>> their own well-being, learning, living, overcoming

>>> barriers added on by abuse issues, and succeeding to

>>> overcome victimization, or at least vicariously

>>> begin to "get it" and change their lives for the

>>> better.

>>> Shirley

>>> Subject: [WomenLiteracy 532] Re: the other

>>> To: The Women and Literacy Discussion List

> [...]