National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 532] Re: the other

Bonnita Solberg bdsunmt at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 2 13:47:53 EDT 2006

Hope I am not too late to jump in here. Concerning the
biochemical component of abuse, physiology tells us
that nerve cells that fire together, wire together.
If you practice something over and over again, or
experience something over and over again, a connection
of nerve cells is built up: the cells have a long term
relationship. Long term cell relationships build
cells to form a nerve identity. This neuron "net" is
rewired on a daily basis. Break down the long term
cell relationship by interrupting the thought process,
and the nueron net is rewired. Interrupt a thought
process and it produces a chemical effect or reaction
that is different than the chemical effect or reaction
of the long term cell relationship or nerve identity.
In essence, nerve cells that don’t fire together,
don’t wire together.

If you get angry on a daily basis, that anger neuro
net has a long term cell relationship with all other
neuro nets. If one experiences abuse on a daily
basis, that experience forms a long term cell
relationship, a net. Emotions reinforce chemically
the long term cell relationship, the cellular long
term memory. If we bombard the same cell with the
same attitude and the same chemistry over and over,
when the cell divides and produces a sister cells,
that sister cell will have more receptor sites for
those particular emotional chemicals and fewer
receptors for vitamins, minerals, food exchange or
release of toxins and waste. Hence one aspect of the
"stress syndrome."

Rewiring the brain in this sense means to literally
reconnect the neurons in the net. Change the mind,
change one's choices. These chemical hanges are from
inside out. This is one aspect of the human drama
each of us deals with in abusive situations.
Bonnita Solberg

=== message truncated ===