National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 441] update on read and discuss ideas

Daphne Greenberg alcdgg at langate.gsu.edu
Sun Jul 16 17:19:15 EDT 2006

It looks like most people want to read something by Jenny Horsman. 9 people have voted for reviewing something on her website. I will get back to everyone shortly about next steps.

Here are the final vote results (and scroll down for correct author for Women's way of Knowing in list and one new reference)
9 people have voted for Jenny Horsman's writing that she has posted on her website ( http://www.jennyhorsman.com/ ) or on http://www.learningandviolence.net
6 people have voted for Jenny Horsman's Too Scared to Learn book.
Two votes for Women's Ways of Knowing by Mary Belenky
Two votes for: Echo in my soul or Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl or Black women in white America.
One vote for Women as Learners by Elizabeth Hayes
One vote for: Work by Carol Gilligan
One vote for: "Coming of Age in Mississippi" by Ann Moody or her recent account of her experiences as a young high school student in the late '50's or early '60s in sit-ins in the South, at the very beginnings of the Civil Rights movement.
One vote for "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," by Maya Angelou.
One vote for: A Child Called It or The Secret Life of Bees
One vote for the Change Agent or Sheryl Gowen's Friends from the Kitchen

Updated list of printed materials (the first two are the new ones):

A new website on Learning and Violence http://www.learningandviolence.net

"Coming of Age in Mississippi" by Ann Moody or her recent account of her experiences as a young high school student in the late '50's or early '60s in sit-ins in the South, at the very beginnings of the Civil
Rights movement.

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," by Maya Angelou

Work by Carol Gilligan

A Child Called It

The Secret Life of Bees

Clark, Septima P. (1962). Echo in my soul. New York: E. P. Dutton & C0.

Jacobs, H. A. (1987). Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl: Written by herself. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. (Original work published in 1861).

Lerner, G. (Ed.) (1972). Black women in white America: A documentary history. New York: Pantheon Books-Random house.

Are Women Human? By Catherine A. MacKinnon

Something in My Mind Besides the Everyday By J. Horsman

Too scared to learn by J. Horsman

By Women/For Women Laubach

Women's Studies Quarterly #32 (1/2) on Women and Literacy (2004)

Lorna Rivera's chapter in Women's Studies Quarterly #32 (1/2) on Women and Literacy (2004)

Kathleen Weiler on Freirean pedagogy from a feminist viewpoint

Sheryl Gowen and Jennifer Bartlett (1997) Friends in the Kitchen A chapter in Hull's edited book, changing work, changing workers*

Change Agent #19 on Women and literacy by teachers and learners

Women and literacy related materials found at: http://www.litwomen.org/womlitbiblio.html

Disconnecting and sexuality: speaking the unspeakable in the classroom (1993) by Kathleen Rockhill

Illiterate woman in women, literacy, and development by Anna Robinson-Pants

Chizu Sato's piece in women, literacy, and development by Anna Robinson-Pants

bell hooks

bell hooks "talking back" chapter 4, or chapters 4-8

Oakland Readers Series on women, enterprising women (Marilyn Martin Jones)

A chapter by Jane Mace in her book, playing with time

Bonny Norton's chapter on literacy and gender

Jean Barr's work on liberating knowledge: research feminism and adult education

Canadian Women's Studies issue on Women and Literacy

Women and literacy related materials found at:
http://www.nald.ca/cclow/search/search_res.asp?s=subject&q=18

Take on the Challenge: A source book from the women, violence, and adult education project: http://www.worlded.org/docs/takeonthechallenge.pdf

When Dad hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse by Lundy Bancroft

Why does he do that? By Lundy Bancroft

Daphne Greenberg
Assistant Professor
Educational Psych. & Special Ed.