National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 433] Re: book discussion-update

mev at litwomen.org mev at litwomen.org
Wed Jul 12 07:43:36 EDT 2006

My preferences:
1) That since we all have limited time, let's try to read something
that will helps us make direct connections to women & literacy

2) Too Scared to learn is very expensive ( academic press) if people
don't have access to it -- there' s so much other good stuff available
by Jenny Horsman - i'd be happy with any of that -- including "Take on
the Challenge" that can also be downloaded.

3) another one I'd like to read: Septima Clark (echo in my soul is out
of print but Ready from Within is still available)

4) NOT Gilligan [in a different voice] too old and limited in scope for
our population

5) Women's Ways of Knowing is by Mary Belenky et.el. (having read it
several times) I'm not as interested in this but would "go with the
flow" if that's the consensus.

I also saw one vote for Women's Studies Quarterly. If people are really
interested in this, I can sell copies for a discount through WE LEARN
and I'd be willing to facilitate as "guest editor."

another book not on the list yet but very good for this group could be
"Women as Learners" edited by Elizabeth Hayes.

Mev