National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 354] Re: math anxiety

Judy Ward j.e.ward at cox.net
Thu Jun 22 21:23:21 EDT 2006

Math anxiety is an emotional response to math based on negative or
unpleasant past experiences. It can also come from not understanding one
basic concept like fractions. When I began using manipulatives with 7th
graders, the importance of "why" became obvious to me. The same "why" is
just as important to adults, both teachers and students. Also, most adult
students are visual and hands on learners, especially in mathematics. Math
was difficult for them in school because it was taught in an abstract manner
- usually the way the teacher learned. As you know more of the same doesn't
work.

My suggestion: You know what concept(s) is a stumbling block for you. Take a
friend and go to the math section of a school supply store. You should see
Cuisinare Rods (fractions), color cubes (blocks for teaching/learning
multiplication, area, perimeter, etc), base ten blocks (place value,
decimals, percents), Alge Blocks (solving equations) just to name a few. Ask
for a book that will go with the manipulative of your choice, go home to
your kitchen table, work with it and learn. It's better to work with a small
group but if that isn't an option work alone.

I have used all the manipulatives listed with both adults and children. They
work! I can't tell you how many tears of joy have been shed during one of my
workshops because an adult educator (ABE/GED/ESOL/Literacy/Workplace)
understood and could "see" the why for the first time. When you feel
confident take the manipulative to your students. Let them "see" the why.

Comments?

Judy