National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 352] Re: math anxiety

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Thu Jun 22 17:42:13 EDT 2006

Friends--

What I can contribute is personal experience, but why not, it probably
shows what numbers can do.

Soon after I separated from my husband income tax time came around. I
knew i couldn't do the math, but even assembling the documents was
overwhelming. i ended up on the rug of my rented apartment crying and
picking fuzz off the rug.

A couple of years later I had mastered the assemblage of documents, but
i neglected to send in the completed forms until I got a letter from
the IRS.

Now, because i am a small business, I have to divide my expenses into
4ths and multiply by 3. I was so put together this year that I have
even put the little coupons in their envelopes--stamped--and written
down the reminders of tax time on my calendar.

Turns out I am POWERFULLY MOTIVATED to save money, so I put in the
extra time to NOT SPEND on checks to the IRS.

The above reasons are why I feel it is REALLY IMPORTANT for women to
know the ins and outs of managing money. I had to go out and get the
knowledge, and I sure wish I had had a helping hand, so I am really
STRONGY in favor of emphasizing the practical uses of math.

Planning what to do with money can give a person control and
motivation.

Unless a person is planning to go into theoretical physics or math,
money has daily practical consequences.

Andrea
On Jun 22, 2006, at 11:12 AM, Daphne Greenberg wrote:

> Thank you Judy for sharing your anxiety about writing. I think that

> this is a great ice breaker for a lot of us who have anxiety doing

> math, thinking about explaining something in math, or even writing on

> this listserv about math. I have two wonders:

> 1. Do others on this listserv share my anxiety about anything related

> to math?

> 2. Judy, or others, what do you recommend for teachers who have math

> anxiety who are teaching students who have math anxiety?

> Thanks,

> Daphne

> Greetings to everyone,

> Since this is a women and literacy list serve I assume that all have a

> deep

> concern and interest in advancing women through a literacy perspective.

> Also, I assume that you all love reading and writing and would like to

> help

> others feel the same way.

> To get the numeracy and math anxiety discussion going I would like to

> begin

> from a different direction. I would like to tell you a little about my

> "anxiety" with English class during my k-12 years. Although I never

> made bad

> grades, English class was a challenge for me. Remembering all the

> sentence

> structure rules was overwhelming and didn't make sense. Diagramming a

> sentence, as well as the other 10 or so that were assigned, was a

> painful

> task. The process didn't make sense to me and I wasn't able to carry

> the

> exercise over to writing.

> Writing was and still is another challenge and most of the time almost

> painful experience for me. You could say that my anxiety about putting

> words

> on paper is a stumbling block and I have to work extremely hard just

> to get

> started. There are times when I must write something important, like

> now,

> that my stomach gets knots in it, my mind goes blank and I have to

> write and

> rewrite over and over. Just before I send this email my anxiety level

> will

> increase drastically because someone will read this and find mistakes

> or

> think the writing is terrible. Where does this anxiety come from?

> Probably

> past experiences with teachers that loved and knew their subject but

> didn't

> teach the way I learn. We know a lot more now about how learning takes

> place

> than in my k-12 years.

> Now, for today's discussion question: Is there a relationship between

> literacy and the content in a typical English class in the US?

> I look forward to the discussion.

> Judy Ward

> Judy Ward, Ed.D.

> [...]

œe áÚD$¹IVk˜%Ë€ ðA{‘‹,=œøYK°½ô†X—ÞrLÎ{ý¡ôby6QÓjÆ8dÌǦÔzÖ­&ÄÅïcECHW…‘Ž"#.ƒê©'f8c-úañ%$†&dÛêTÞÅî~…º=ː1ô‹$MŽEß«4
± ǹXùfL«HÚán¢vþÂB Äófà4„áy'ˆ'Ì$LyyFrom j.e.ward at cox.net Thu Jun 22 20:48:25 2006