National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 632] Re: cultivating community

Ryan Hall ryanryanc at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 22:59:53 EDT 2006

Thank you so much, Jackie, for posting your suggestions for the new women
and literacy wiki!
I, of course, did not find your regression to my question insensitive at
all, and I even think that talking about ideas for this new wiki area can be
a very productive way to discuss and expand (and even inform those in need
of informing) the issues that have been raised in terms of the listserv
merger. We could think of it as a sort of efficient multi-tasking initiative
that allows us to vent our frustrations and irritations about the merger
while, at the same time, disseminate useful information about issues related
to women and literacy and, thus, create a teachable moment for all.
For example, several concepts, such as connections, intersections, and
overlaps have been mentioned in terms of the listserv merger...but, what
exactly are those connections and overlaps with race and poverty, and what
are the issues related to women regardless of their race or SES status?
There are other issues we could explore, too:
What about the role of cultural differences and/or expectations in defining
literacy for different groups of women (in the US and abroad)? What are some
questions that either you have had about women and literacy/learning or that
you have heard others ask about women and literacy/learning? What exactly is
it that we all want others to know about women and literacy...and/or women
learners in general? What are some of the resources that we all (teachers,
researchers, advocates, etc.) want to have readily available for us to use
at a moment¹s notice?
Speaking of resources, for those of you who don¹t know, there is an ALE Wiki
glossary, and each topic area has its own section. So, if there are terms
pertaining to women and literacy that you have seen used in posts on this
list and that you think should be included in a women and literacy glossary,
let me know. It could either be something that you know and just want to
make sure is included in a glossary pertaining to this topic, or it could be
a word/concept that you¹ve seen used a lot, but have no idea what it really
means.
This wiki is a collaborative creation, and each of you should feel free to
contribute your ideas, experiences, and resources.
Ryan