National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 509] Re: RD: Bridges to Learning

mev at litwomen.org mev at litwomen.org
Wed Aug 23 08:39:02 EDT 2006

I want to thank everyone who has participated this week in the reading
discussion of articles by Jenny Horsman on the effects of violence and
trauma on women's learning.

In the past few days, Janet, Andres, and Kate have each added some
specific examples of what they are doing in their programs. I would
still like to hear what others have done as well.

We have, by no means, reached the end of things we can say or write
about this topic. I encourage folks to continue this discussion in the
next few weeks -- perhaps we could revisit it again as people come back
to their programs and find new challenges in the coming year. Daphne
will have someone summarize this conversation to be posted on the NIFL
website.

I'm signing off -- I will be out of town for a few days with no access
to email -- but I look forward to continued discussion on this topic.

Thanks.
Mev

WE LEARN
Women Expanding: Literacy Education Action Resource Network
www.litwomen.org/welearn.html

Mev Miller, Ed.D., Director
182 Riverside Ave.
Cranston, RI 02910