National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 497] Re: RD: Bridges to Learning

Muro, Andres amuro5 at epcc.edu
Thu Aug 17 11:41:27 EDT 2006

In our program, we assume that all people victims of trauma and
violence. This also relates to the article about normality/abnormality.
I met Jenny many years ago in a WIL conference. I wanted to address the
issue of trauma but still had the mindset that trauma was the issue of
the other. After reading Jenny's work but also talking with her, Jane
Hugo from Laubach and others I was able to understand that I was
medicalizing(?) the problem. Trauma was an issue of the "sick other" and
we, teachers/program staff, were there to help by providing a
solution/intervention/cure.

>From Jenny and others I understood that trauma is our issue and we are

all victims of it. With this mindset, we create spaces in our programs
were there are opportunities for those who want to and are ready to
share and seek help, w/o anyone being forced to share if they don't want
to. The spaces are many. Creative writing is one of those spaces.
Opportunities for students collaborating in projects and sharing is
another space. Many of opportunities for students to dialogue with
program staff with privacy is another space. Students knowledge that
there are support programs readily available is another space. There is
also the opportunity for the program staff to share with each other and
with students, and many of us have relied on each other to get over
crises. However, a strong asset for us is the awareness that there are
resources available for the students and ourselves.

When someone reaches out seeking help, we need to be able to access
interventions, if necessary, that go beyond peer support. So, we have
contacts with all the local services that provide services for victims
of trauma. This knowledge creates a safety network for us. If we reach
out and seek help, there will be something available.

Andres