National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 495] Re: RD: Bridges to Learning - Boudaries for Literacy Workers that want to help

Ryan Hall ryanryanc at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 15:34:04 EDT 2006

I think Shirley makes a good point- that we can¹t save the world. But,
perhaps ³saving the world² is subjective in that it is usually defined by
the person who is taking on that task. When we¹re the outsider looking at
someone who so desperately needs to be saved, it¹s easy to forget that the
choices we can offer may not be ones they can choose. Sometimes, choosing
one of the options is too hard or too dangerous. Perhaps it¹s watching as
students continue to struggle in their violent environment that causes much
of the teacher burnout. I think that it is important to remember that some,
maybe many, students can¹t be ³saved² if for no other reason than it is just
too hard for them to make those choices. I wonder if this concept may be
even more difficult to understand for those of us who have seen and/or
experienced trauma and been able to escape, or maybe just harder to deal
with because it makes us feel guilty that we were able to do what many of
them can¹t.
Ryan