National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 450] Re: update on read and discuss ideas

Andrea Wilder andreawilder at comcast.net
Tue Jul 18 19:01:24 EDT 2006

I can't figure out if my next to last message got on.

Too Scared to Learn--try dookfinder.com, and used.addall.com. Also,
Alibris.

Andrea

On Jul 17, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Ryan Hall wrote:

> Andrea,

> Mev brought up a good point about Too Scared to Learn, which is the

> cost. I

> paid either $42 or $47 for my copy three months ago from amazon.com. I

> wouldn't have bought it except for the fact that I previewed another

> copy

> and knew I really wanted it despite the cost. Many people in this

> listserv,

> including myself, are not going to want to pay so much money for a

> book they

> aren't sure they'll use OR they simply won't have the money to buy the

> book.

> Either way, the cost for this book alone may exclude a lot of people

> on this

> listserv who might otherwise participate in the discussion. And, I

> wonder,

> too, how easy it would be for people who are not here in the US or

> Canada to

> actually get the book. So, potentially there would be more exclusions.

> I'm wondering if it would be better to discuss something else Jenny

> Horsman

> has written (perhaps something on the internet that more people can

> get) and

> then use the book as an optional resource for the discussion. What do

> you

> think? Do you (or anyone else) have another idea on how this could

> work?

> Ryan

> On 7/17/06 8:20 AM, "Andrea Wilder" <andreawilder at comcast.net> wrote:

>> Daphne,

>> This is a great list!

>> I still hope we do "Too Scared...."

>> Andrea

>> On Jul 16, 2006, at 5:19 PM, Daphne Greenberg wrote:

>>> It looks like most people want to read something by Jenny Horsman. 9

>>> people have voted for reviewing something on her website. I will get

>>> back to everyone shortly about next steps.

>>> Here are the final vote results (and scroll down for correct author

>>> for Women's way of Knowing in list and one new reference)

>>> 9 people have voted for Jenny Horsman's writing that she has posted

>>> on

>>> her website ( http://www.jennyhorsman.com/ ) or on

>>> http://www.learningandviolence.net

>>> 6 people have voted for Jenny Horsman's Too Scared to Learn book.

>>> Two votes for Women's Ways of Knowing by Mary Belenky

>>> Two votes for: Echo in my soul or Incidents in the Life of a Slave

>>> Girl or Black women in white America.

>>> One vote for Women as Learners by Elizabeth Hayes

>>> One vote for: Work by Carol Gilligan

>>> One vote for: "Coming of Age in Mississippi" by Ann Moody or her

>>> recent account of her experiences as a young high school student in

>>> the late '50's or early '60s in sit-ins in the South, at the very

>>> beginnings of the Civil Rights movement.

>>> One vote for "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," by Maya Angelou.

>>> One vote for: A Child Called It or The Secret Life of Bees

>>> One vote for the Change Agent or Sheryl Gowen's Friends from the

>>> Kitchen

>>> Updated list of printed materials (the first two are the new ones):

>>> Women as Learners by Elizabeth Hayes

>>> Women's Ways of Knowing by Mary Belenky

>>> A new website on Learning and Violence

>>> http://www.learningandviolence.net

>>> "Coming of Age in Mississippi" by Ann Moody or her recent account of

>>> her experiences as a young high school student in the late '50's or

>>> early '60s in sit-ins in the South, at the very beginnings of the

>>> Civil

>>> Rights movement.

>>> "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," by Maya Angelou

>>> Work by Carol Gilligan

>>> A Child Called It

>>> The Secret Life of Bees

>>> Clark, Septima P. (1962). Echo in my soul. New York: E. P. Dutton &

>>> C0.

>>> Jacobs, H. A. (1987). Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl: Written

>>> by herself. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. (Original work

>>> published in 1861).

>>> Lerner, G. (Ed.) (1972). Black women in white America: A documentary

>>> history. New York: Pantheon Books-Random house.

>>> Are Women Human? By Catherine A. MacKinnon

>>> Something in My Mind Besides the Everyday By J. Horsman

>>> Too scared to learn by J. Horsman

>>> By Women/For Women Laubach

>>> Women's Studies Quarterly #32 (1/2) on Women and Literacy (2004)

>>> Lorna Rivera's chapter in Women's Studies Quarterly #32 (1/2) on

>>> Women

>>> http://www.litwomen.org/womlitbiblio.html

>>> Disconnecting and sexuality: speaking the unspeakable in the

>>> classroom

>>> (1993) by Kathleen Rockhill

>>> Illiterate woman in women, literacy, and development by Anna

>>> Robinson-Pants

>>> Chizu Sato's piece in women, literacy, and development by Anna

>>> Robinson-Pants

>>> bell hooks

>>> bell hooks "talking back" chapter 4, or chapters 4-8

>>> Oakland Readers Series on women, enterprising women (Marilyn Martin

>>> Jones)

>>> A chapter by Jane Mace in her book, playing with time

>>> Bonny Norton's chapter on literacy and gender

>>> Jean Barr's work on liberating knowledge: research feminism and adult

>>> education

>>> http://www.nald.ca/cclow/search/search_res.asp?s=subject&q=18

>>> http://www.worlded.org/docs/takeonthechallenge.pdf

>>> When Dad hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of

>>> Witnessing Abuse by Lundy Bancroft

>>> Why does he do that? By Lundy Bancroft

>>> Daphne Greenberg

>>> Assistant Professor