National Institute for Literacy

[WomenLiteracy 341] Re: Numeracy

Judy Ward j.e.ward at cox.net
Mon Jun 19 16:11:29 EDT 2006

Mev,

I am familiar with SABES and the great job it has done for numeracy over the
years. Also, several people from Massachusetts are numeracy pioneers in the
US.

Between 2001 and 2004 I received a grant from the Winthrop Rockefeller
Foundation that funded the Arkansas Adult Numeracy Campaign. The grant was
based on the research I did on adult educators in Arkansas. My research and
experience with adult educators indicates they teach math only because it is
part of the job, they receive almost no training in how to teach math and
they have weak backgrounds in math. The training they do receive relates
almost entirely to helping their students pass the GED. In addition, they
tend to teach the way they were taught and, in fact, struggle with their own
skill level.

As a 7th grade math teacher I tired of students coming to me still not
understanding fractions, decimals, and percents. So, I changed my teaching
methods to include manipulatives and other visual methods. Once I began
teaching for understanding by using manipulatives such as the Cuisenaire
rods, the "light bulb" came on for everyone and they were much happier (as
was I).

When I stumbled into adult education, it became obvious that the same
problems existed. Not only did the adult students not understand fractions,
decimals, and percents, but neither did the instructors. During workshops I
have given, there have been many occasions the "light bulb" moment has
occurred with an adult educator. Sometimes even tears were shed.

Many think that math is computation only and it is taught as an isolated
subject. However, as we all know, in today's world more is needed. Also,
most people use math in everyday life but don't consider it math because
math is what they did in school. This is where numeracy comes into play.
Math becomes part of reading, literature, social studies, everyday problem
solving, and science.

We must remember that everyone does not learn the same especially when it
comes to math. Literacy instructors know there is more than one way to teach
reading but when it comes to math the tendency is to be stuck on computation
only.

Judy Ward