[NIFL-HEALTH:4036] RE: Health phrases in several languages

From: Hodorowski, Julie K./Sloan-Kettering Institute (hodorowj@MSKCC.ORG)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 18:06:45 EDT

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:06:45 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Hodorowski, Julie K./Sloan-Kettering Institute" <hodorowj@MSKCC.ORG>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4036] RE: Health phrases in several languages

Dear Helen,

I am wondering if you might be referring to Babel Fish since it is
pretty popular.  The software is very imperfect.  The human interface
remains essential especially in medical translation.  To date no
translation software works very well to my knowledge since the
technology is still in its infancy.  Native speakers will usually get a
great chuckle out of the translations but in a pinch it may be worth a
try.

AltaVista's Babel Fish Translation Service
http://world.altavista.com/

There are many others see:
Babel Fish.org
http://www.babelfish.org/

For English to Spanish I have heard this is the best:
MACHINE TRANSLATION AT THE PAN AMERICAN HEALTH ORGANIZATION
http://www.paho.org/English/AM/GSP/TR/Machine Trans.htm

This may be old news to all of you but figured I would give it a stab
since Helen is such a wonderful resource to us all.

Julie Keany Hodorowski RN, MA
Information Service Manager
New York Cancer Information Service Regional Office
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
"A program of the National Cancer Institute: Your link to cancer
information."
1-800-4-CANCER  < www.cancer.gov>