[NIFL-HEALTH:3894] RE: English and Spanish in one document? YES!

From: Jann Keenan (jkeenan@erols.com)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 12:28:34 EST

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:28:34 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jann Keenan" <jkeenan@erols.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3894] RE: English and Spanish in one document? YES!

Hello Felicia. As always you have good work on your plate. I vote for option
#2.

Here is my experience:
While working on the National Institute of Health project for NHBLI- Office
of Minority Affairs I wrote a series of 8 booklets on CVD for Latinos. The
project, Salud Su Corazon won the Government's Blue Pencil Award and a
special citation from the Secretary fo Health, DHHS. To that end, prior to
dissemination, the educational materials were field tested/focus grouped
heavily and the readers truly wanted a bi-lingual booklet.

In this series, the English writing appears on the left hand page--the
Spanish translation on the right. The tough part? Make sure your visuals are
culturally appropriate by offering a myriad of folks in the illustrations or
photos.

Of course--I also recommend field testing with your intended audience. When
going for an easy-to-read piece, my preference is to do one-on-one interview
to measure comprehension and retention. In this case, focus groups may work
great for the layout and concept of English one-page, Spanish on the other.

I wish you great success on your project!

With regards,
Jann

Jann Keenan, Ed.S.
President
The Keenan Group,Inc: Experts in Health Literacy
9862 Century Drive
Ellicott City, MD 21042
410-480-9716
www.keenangroupinc.com
Founding Member, The Clear Language Group