National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-PLI] From Jaleh, My last day at NIFL

jataylor jataylor at utk.edu
Thu Sep 16 14:41:24 EDT 2004

Dear Colleagues and Friends;

My last day at NIFL will be October 1, 2004. I started working at NIFL eleven
years ago with much enthusiasm and hope, and I end it with great pride in our
many achievements and some anguish over the uncertainties and challenges that
remain.
With Andy Hartman’s leadership and a dedicated team of professionals—my
colleagues Sondra Stein, Alice Johnson, Carolyn Staley, and my very dear
friend Susan Green, we enthusiastically embraced the literacy field’s vision
reflected in Literacy Act of 1991 and created NIFL’s major projects—EFF,
Bridges to Practice, NIFL policy efforts and LINCS—which we thought were
fundamental for our field. In our effort, we had the backing and support of
the adult literacy advocates and many practitioners. The outcomes indicated we
were right in our assessments of the needs as well as our approach of
involving practitioners in the field in developing these projects. LINCS was
created with great input and support from practitioners nationwide, who took
ownership in what needed to be done and made it an integral part of their
work.
LINCS, as a national network of literacy practitioners, professional
developers, and trainers, as well as a communication tool and an information
retrieval teaching and learning resource on the Internet, has been serving the
literacy community in numerous ways. One of my very dear colleagues, David
Rosen, told me last week that he cannot imagine the literacy field without
LINCS nor the direct impact LINCS has had on his own work. Today, LINCS
includes over 200 people working in different capacities to make the system
useful for the field. It includes more than 45 state agencies partnering with
LINCS through Regional Technology Centers, 11 high-quality special collections
with over 70 literacy field experts working to select high-quality resources
for them, a national library team of catalogers who are using LINCS standards
and criteria to populate the LINCS databases, 14 discussion lists with several
thousand participants, and a technical team of qualified professionals who !
have been serving NIFL and LINCS for the past several years. Moreover, the
newly relaunched America’s Literacy Directory (ALD), an addition to LINCS, is
another foundational infrastructure that is the only comprehensive national
ABE and literacy directory providing access to programs for learners,
volunteers, and potential funders.
I know there is a lot more to be done to enrich the goal of a fully literate
society, and we as a field still have a long way to go to ensure that we are
providing quality services for our learners. However, over the past few years
our achievements have been undermined and the direction and worth of adult
education questioned. I strongly believe that despite these attempts, as
educators and practitioners, we must take pride in the systems we have built
and continue our work toward enhancing the quality of the literacy outcomes
and practices.

Leaving NIFL was a very difficult choice, and I leave with wonderful memories
of our work together. I am also very grateful for the opportunity that was
given to me and thank you all for being a part of this great endeavor. LINCS
belongs to the literacy community and all who have helped build it and the
many who benefit by it.

Jaleh Behroozi Soroui National LINCS Director National Institute for Literacy
1775 I street, Suite 730 Washington DC, 20006 Phone: 202/233-2039 FAX:
202/233-2050
www.nifl.gov/lincs