National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-PLI] Consolidation of federal funding on the state level

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Thu Jun 17 16:14:35 EDT 2004

Colleagues,

States (Governors), it is said, have more ability now to consolidate
federal funding streams for adult education and literacy. When people
say this they often have in mind waivers, and perhaps other things.

I would be interested to learn about states that are trying to do this:
to consolidate all adult education and literacy resources, and manage
them out of one state agency : State K-12 Education, State Higher
Education, State Labor, or State Workforce Development.

Is there a state that has succeeded in doing this? If so, which
one(S) ?

Is this CONSOLIDATION a good idea or a bad idea? Why?

Are there other effective models of collaboration at the state level
(e.g. a lead agency among several partner agencies setting standards,
but no consolidation of funds)

What are the issues that states struggle with in trying to do this? For
example, how do states that consolidate federal funding from different
streams handle the complicated federal funding source reporting issues?

Although I think this would be an interesting online discussion, if you
wish to respond privately, that would be fine, too.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net