National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-PLI] RE: Using NRS Data for Program Improvement

Yvonne Lerew ylerew at lsssd.org
Tue May 25 11:10:05 EDT 2004

Dear Larry,
I applaud the fact that DAEL recognizes that computer literacy is an
important skill and should be incorporated into NRS. I struggle however
with the idea that, as you say,

"The Department is also planning to refine and broaden the educational
functioning level descriptors in the future and the incorporation of
technology skills into the descriptors will be considered. So at some
point there may well be some inclusion of these skills in the educational
levels."

One of the problems I find with the NRS system is that it forces programs
to identify and track students as a whole and does not allow for one person
to be at different levels in different skill areas. For example, a student
may be at one level in reading and a different level in math, but according
to NRS the student must have a label of a single educational functioning
level. Or an ESL student may have very different levels of oral skill vs.
written skill but again must be given a single ESL level for NRS.

I think that adding computer skills to the mix further complicates the
issue. One student could be High Intermediate ESL, for example, and never
have touched a computer previously. Another student could be also High
Intermediate ESL and be a computer programmer in their native country.

People are much more complicated than a single educational functioning
level. One student may have multiple levels of skills in a variety of
areas. In addition, adults may choose which skills are important to their
lives at a particular time and focus on improving that skill. I believe
that, by separating technology related skills, oral English skills, written
English skills, math skills, etc.; progress in each area could be accounted
for and more accurate reports could be generated.

I appreciate any comments you may have about this issue.
Thank you,
Yvonne Lerew