[NIFL-4EFF:2153] "Research on Research" Mini-Survey

From: Spacone, Ronna (Contractor) (Ronna.Spacone@ed.gov)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 18:38:08 EDT

Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 18:38:08 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Spacone, Ronna (Contractor)" <Ronna.Spacone@ed.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2153] "Research on Research" Mini-Survey

The following message is from Gail Spangenberg, President, Council for
Advancement of Adult Literacy (CAAL). The results of the CAAL "Research on
Research" mini-survey (a compilation of original research titles) includes
Equipped for the Future publications.

Colleagues,

A short while back, CAAL asked several dozen adult literacy professionals to
help us get a sense of the current research base in adult literacy.
Specifically, we invited them to answer this question:  What 5-10 research
studies ever produced on any aspect of adult literacy do you find most
useful for purposes of guiding policy, management and/or practice?  We
wanted to see if we could make a judgment about whether there is a basic
canon of research on literacy comparable to what exists in other
fields/disciplines.  Is there a must-read list of research materials, we
asked, and of what does it consist?  We specified that we were looking for
studies based on original, primary research that meet generally accepted
standards for the highest professional quality.  We said that the research
should be discrete, completed (not in process), and have been made widely
available. The results of our mini-survey, while limited in nature, are now
available at the CAAL website as a pdf document titled "Research-on-Research
Mini-Survey."  Anyone who wants it should go to http://www.caalusa.org,
scroll down the left column to the title, and click through.

Gail Spangenberg
President
Council for Advancement of Adult Literacy
1221 Avenue of the Americas - 50th Floor
New York, NY 10020
212-512-2362, fax 212-512-2610

Ronna G. Spacone
EFF Technology Coordinator