[NIFL-4EFF:2081] Transfer of EFF Skills

From: Dawn Norris (Dawn_Norris@umit.maine.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 15:59:37 EST

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:59:37 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Dawn Norris" <Dawn_Norris@umit.maine.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2081] Transfer of EFF Skills

While reviewing the role maps recently, it struck me that while I have strong political opinions, I have rarely taken political action beyond voting.  I've decided to consciously transfer the skills I use in other roles to the role of
citizen/community member.

I'll be documenting my progress & reflections as I go.  I invite feedback from anyone who has focused on the transfer of skills from one role to another, or who has students who have done so.  What issues came up?  How did you troubleshoot
difficulties?

What I've done so far:
I reviewed the citizen/community member role map & decided that I need to focus on 2 broad areas of responsibility: Become & Stay Informed and Take Action to Strengthen Communities.

My goal is to affect one issue I have chosen.  The political system affecting the issue is a mystery to me, so I'll need to use a Become & Stay Informed key activity: “Figure out how the system that affects an issue works”.

I need to identify the system first!  I will use the standard/skill “Learn Through Research” to do this, and then to understand how the system works.

I've used this skill successfully in my worker role to understand more about how the University's financial system works.  I'll think about how this standard's components of performance relate to my success in that role, then figure out the best way
to transfer the skill to my role as citizen.

Best regards,

Dawn Norris
EFF National Center Operations Coordinator
University of Maine
5766 Shibles Hall
Orono, ME 04469
Phone: (207) 581-2402 x11