[NIFL-4EFF:1958] Common Activities//Knowledge Domains

From: George E. Demetrion (sophocles5@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 07:17:23 EST

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:17:23 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "George E. Demetrion" <sophocles5@juno.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:1958] Common Activities//Knowledge Domains

Colleagues:

I'm doing a little historical investigation of the EFF project and am
trying to get a handle on something of thespecific relationships between
the Common Activities and /Knowledge Domains to the development of the
standards.

I have a decent sense of the ways in which the Common Activities and
Knowledge Domains can potentially impact educationally, but in terms of
the systemic development of the EFF framework, I'm not clear on their
relationship to the standards, except in a general sense that they played
a linkage function in the movement from the role maps to the standards.

Also, on the standards, I see that in the EFF literature they are
referred to as Content Standards.  My understanding is that they are
metacognitive, learning-to-learn process standards that cannot stand on
their own, but need to be related to the Four  Purposes and the Role Maps
in order to make any sense of them whether for educational or
accountability purposes.  So I would rather refer to them as process
standards.  Is that something folks would like to discuss here?

If anyone would prefer to contact me directly about these matters,  my
email addresses are:

Sophocles5@juno.com
Gdemetrion@msn.com

Thanks very much.