[NIFL-4EFF:2121] Re: Drug and Alcohol Recovery resources

From: KUTHFAM@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 20:30:08 EDT

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:30:08 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: KUTHFAM@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2121] Re: Drug and Alcohol Recovery resources

I am the ABLE/GED instructor at a drug and alcohol recovery program. From
personal experience, I know it is very difficult to convince the counselors
that a clinet/student really cannot read, and that being able to read the
words does not mean the client/student can understand what s/he has read.

One thing that has helped is for the client/student to have the Big Book
(Alcoholics Anonymous) on tape. The client/student can listen and understand
what s/he hears better than what s/he reads.

Another way for clients/students to receive help they need is for me to read
and explain the text (but only short texts) to the student.  If there are
questions to respond to, the client/student can tell them to me to record, or
record responses on audio tape.

Millie Kuth
Hamilton City ABLE
Hamilton OH 45011