[NIFL-4EFF:2114] Re: EFF Tasks and Activities

From: Brenda Bell (bsbell@utk.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 16:16:22 EDT

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:16:22 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Brenda Bell <bsbell@utk.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2114] Re: EFF Tasks and Activities

--=====================_102578982==_.ALT

Several weeks ago Ronna Spacone posted some comments to the list about EFF
performance tasks, describing a classroom example found in the current EFF
Voice.

This made me think of a short article that Aaron Kohring and I wrote
recently for the Tennessee Adult Educator, focusing on the EFF standard
Take Responsibility for Learning.  This standard provides an excellent way
for students to develop a clearer understanding of their strengths and
weaknesses as learners and the types of strategies they can use to develop
skills and knowledge.  To illustrate this, we described a performance task
that was developed during the EFF assessment field research.

In a class where students were trying to figure out how to improve their
math skills, the teacher and students used the Take Responsibility for
Learning standard as the guide for a series of lessons to help students
take charge of developing their math expertise and, at the same time,
become aware of the learning strategies they used  and how to apply theses
strategies in other situations.

Each student chose a math concept that was difficult for her or him and
taught this concept to the rest of the class.  The teacher's support for
this performance task included:
         1.      preparing a self-evaluation form to help students identify
their own strengths and needs as learners,
         2.      reviewing the standard and discussing what it means to
take charge of your own learning,
         3.      providing a series of learning-styles activities for
students to learn about their own and classmates' preferred ways of learning,
         4.      discussing and showing students a variety of teaching
methods, and
         5.      helping students identify the best way to teach the math
concept.

Each student taught his or her math concept to the class.  Afterwards, they
evaluated themselves and, together with the teacher, reflected on what they
had learned about their own ways of learning as well as what they learned
about math.  Some of the evaluation and reflection questions were:
1.      How did I pick which math concept to teach? Why was it hard for me
to learn?
2.      How did I learn this math concept?
3.      How did I use this information (about my own learning) to decide
how to teach other students?
4.      What teaching and learning methods did I consider when I decided
how to teach this concept?
5.      Now that I have taught one math concept, how would I change my
teaching?
6.      How can I use what I have learned about teaching others and about
how I learn?

Here's what the teacher had to say, reflecting on how this experience
went:  "Everyone in the class participated  everyone taught a math
concept.  The task gave everyone an opportunity to be successful.  The
meaning of the standard became clearer to the students after they actually
completed the teaching and began to complete the self evaluation.  Their
ability to observe their own learning is increasing."

The EFF staff is beginning to put examples like this into a common
format.  If you were to adapt this example for use with your students, what
else would you want to know?

Brenda

Brenda Bell, Associate Director
Center for Literacy Studies, University of Tennessee
Co-Director, EFF Assessment  Consortium

office/voice mail 865-974-6654  fax 865-974-3857
bsbell@utk.edu

--=====================_102578982==_.ALT

comments to the list about EFF performance tasks, describing a classroom
example found in the current EFF Voice.&nbsp; <br><br>
This made me think of a short article that Aaron Kohring and I wrote
recently for the Tennessee Adult Educator, focusing on the EFF standard
<i>Take Responsibility for Learning</i>.&nbsp; This standard provides an
excellent way for students to develop a clearer understanding of their
strengths and weaknesses as learners and the types of strategies they can
use to develop skills and knowledge.&nbsp; To illustrate this, we
described a performance task that was developed during the EFF assessment
field research.&nbsp; <br><br>
In a class where students were trying to figure out how to improve their
math skills, the teacher and students used the <i>Take Responsibility for
Learning</i> standard as the guide for a series of lessons to help
students take charge of developing their math expertise and, at the same
time, become aware of the learning strategies they used&nbsp; and how to
apply theses strategies in other situations.&nbsp; <br><br>
Each student chose a math concept that was difficult for her or him and
taught this concept to the rest of the class.&nbsp; The teacher’s support
for this performance task included:</font>
<dl>
<dl>
<dd><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>1.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>preparing
a self-evaluation form to help students identify their own strengths and
needs as learners,
<dd><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>2.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>reviewing
the standard and discussing what it means to take charge of your own
learning,
<dd><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>3.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>providing
a series of learning-styles activities for students to learn about their
own and classmates’ preferred ways of learning,
<dd><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>4.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>discussing
and showing students a variety of teaching methods, and
<dd><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>5.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>helping
students identify the best way to teach the math concept.<br><br>

</dl>
</dl>Each student taught his or her math concept to the class.&nbsp;
Afterwards, they evaluated themselves and, together with the teacher,
reflected on what they had learned about their own ways of learning as
well as what they learned about math.&nbsp; Some of the evaluation and
reflection questions were:
<dl><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=4>
<dd>1.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>How did I
pick which math concept to teach? Why was it hard for me to learn?
</dl><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=4>2.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>How
did I learn this math concept?<br>
did I use this information (about my own learning) to decide how to teach
other students?<br>
teaching and learning methods did I consider when I decided how to teach
this concept?<br>
that I have taught one math concept, how would I change my
teaching?<br>
can I use what I have learned about teaching others and about how I
learn?<br><br>
Here’s what the teacher had to say, reflecting on how this experience
went:&nbsp; “Everyone in the class participated&nbsp; everyone taught a
math concept.&nbsp; The task gave everyone an opportunity to be
successful.&nbsp; The meaning of the standard became clearer to the
students after they actually completed the teaching and began to complete
the self evaluation.&nbsp; Their ability to observe their own learning is
increasing.”<br><br>
The EFF staff is beginning to put examples like this into a common
format.&nbsp; If you were to adapt this example for use with your
students, what else would you want to know?&nbsp; <br><br>
Brenda <br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Brenda Bell, Associate Director<br>
Center for Literacy Studies, University of Tennessee<br>
Co-Director, EFF Assessment&nbsp; Consortium<br><br>
office/voice mail 865-974-6654&nbsp; fax 865-974-3857<br>
bsbell@utk.edu<br>