[NIFL-4EFF:2077] Re: EFF and the workforce

From: AndresMuro@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 13:55:01 EST

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:55:01 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AndresMuro@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2077] Re: EFF and the workforce

Mark:

I think that we are talking about different issues, and let me address them. Regarding the original post I was responding to the claim that workers miss work, are tardy, and have a poor work ethic, and, therefore, EFF could be used as a vehicle to address this. My point was that worker ethics are related to employer ethics. If employers treat employees with dignity and respect, and compensate them well, their workers are going to work hard. The alternative as you point out is that if employees depend on the job to eat, they will work as hard as possible.

You bring another point, namely, employees qualifications. With economic globalization there is an interesting trend. The basic level jobs are leaving the US and the jobs that are remaining in the US require higher levels of skills. However, since these higher level jobs are becoming entry level in the US they are compensated at an entry level.

Essentially, corporations want to pay entry level wages, that put employees below the poverty line, but they expect employees to have good literacy skills, computer skills, math skills, etc. etc. At the same time, the people with low literacy skills, no computer skills, no math skills, and limited verbal communication skills cannot find jobs, because nobody wants them anymore. Furthermore, they cannot get welfare, even if they may have worked their entire lives assembling parts, sewing clothes, picking crops, and building economies throughout the United States.

What these corporations want is for literacy programs to train people with low educational attainment, who worked their entire lives and have been displaced, for the new minimum wage jobs. They expect literacy programs to provide literacy and vocational skills that may take years to acquire in short periods of time.

Literacy programs, of course, with these expectations placed on them, target young, fairly well educated people, but poor people, who could do very well in college, and recruit them for short term vocational training.

This is not the role of literacy programs or of EFF. The purpose of EFF and adult literacy is to facilitate language communication skills to people so that they can use language and math to make decisions about family, education, vocation and community life. This doesn't mean that we need to tell our students that they need to show up to work on time and that it is wrong to skip work. What it means is that we expose the students to career opportunities and choices for themselves and their families. We also expose them to available health care, community services, civic life, etc., etc.

If corporations want skilled employees, they should pay for their training and compensate them accordingly. This is not the role of public education.

Andres