[NIFL-4EFF:1995] Re: EFF and GED classrooms

From: KathleenBombach@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 13:37:35 EST

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:37:35 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: KathleenBombach@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:1995] Re:  EFF and GED classrooms

In a message dated 1/25/2002 8:48:48 AM Mountain Standard Time,
lvwayne@redsuspenders.com writes:

> Reading this over, it seems like I'm coming down on both sides of the issue.
> I've seen programs that completely indulge the return to "big desk-little
> desk" that so many adults are comfortable with, to the detriment of the
> student.  On the other hand, I've also seen programs where the instructor
> expects people to immediately eschew their preconceptions about education
> and become collaborative and participatory, and students drop out like
> flies.  It's often a fine line between doing what's best for the student(s)
> and ensuring the student(s) decisions and safety are respected.
> Recognizing
> this and working effectively with it is probably one of the main
> differences
> between an average instructor and a great one.

Very true, and even more complicated when students come from other countries
and carry different ideas of what school looks and feels like. It is wise to
find out what school looks like in a particular country so that students do
not drop out immediately, but stay and also learn ways to become
self-directed learners.
Kathleen Bombach