[NIFL-4EFF:1992] Re: EFF and GED classrooms

From: JSP1440@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 22:46:13 EST

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:46:13 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: JSP1440@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:1992] Re:  EFF and GED classrooms

Sylvia

I'm not really sure where it came from, I was introduced to this by the Dean
at a former college where I taught.  Basically, I start out the discussion by
asking the students to take some paper and answer the following question.
"Why did you decide to come to school?"  I tell the students that I will give
them two minutes to write their answers at which time I would like ask for
volunteers to read their answers aloud to the rest of the class.  After
which, I ask them to then write, in reference to their previous answer "Why
is this important to you?"  The process is repeated with the follow-up
question being the same "Why is this important to you?"  The group dynamics
is always differen, but generally if I am reassuring, and the students feel
that they are in a safe environment, they will share their stories.  Most of
the time I cannot even get to the 5th why as the stories are so personal.
Some people become very emotional, but ALWAYS it has turned out to be a
positive experience.  People share, bond, sympathize, and a group of
strangers become aquainted and become...my class!  I become their teacher!

There are so many interesting anetodecal moments I could share with this, but
generically I have found that after the first round of "sharing", more
students decide to open up and read what they have written.  Even if I am on
the 3rd Why, I will ask the student to go back and read their answers from
the begining of the first question. I usually couple this with asking the
students to use this as a part of their journal, including this in part of an
essay in which they use "Discovery" and "Intention" statements.  (Discovery
and Intention statements are introduced and used in the Master Student by
Ellis)

As I mentioned this allows students to go beyond the superficial, and can be
the first step in the goal setting process.  The experience clarifies the
purpose for learning for individuals, and the shared experience seems to
heighten awareness and resolve for the rest of the class as well.
Subsequently, the students, now stating why they want to learn, can focus on
what they want to learn, setting short and long term goals.

I hope this helps, perhaps someone will find the original lesson plan and
author for this.  I'm not sure if the "5 Whys" was originally designed for
use as part of a goal setting process, but it is a very powerful tool, and
experience.  This excercise seems to fit well in the EFF goal setting
process.

Jeffery Parham
ABE/GED Instructor
Pre-College Studies and Academic Support Program
Highline Community College
2400 S. 240th St. P.O. Box 98000� MS 19-1
Des Moines, WA 98198-9800
Tel. 206-878-3710� Ext. 6210
Fax 206-870-4852