[NIFL-4EFF:2061] RE: From Common Activities to Standards

From: j ransone (jransone2@jcplin.org)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 15:32:31 EST

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:32:31 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: j ransone <jransone2@jcplin.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2061] RE: From Common Activities to Standards

Hi everyone,

I liked the graphic on pages 4 and 5 of the new EFF Voice.  I think it does
a great job of illustrating how to go "From Role Maps to Standards."  I
facilitate a life skills class for women at the county jail, and we often
create projects based on the
EFF Common Activities.  I thought it would be interesting to put one of our
projects into the format from the EFF Voice.  We go "From Common Activities
to Standards."

Initially, I passed out all 13 of the Common Activities and asked the group
which ones they were interested in pursuing.  They chose Develop and Express
Sense of Self and Create and Pursue Vision and Goals.

When I looked at descriptors for Develop and Express Sense of Self such as
"examine and clarify values and beliefs," and "consider constraints of the
situation as well as your own strengths and weaknesses when choosing a
course for action," I needed to identify which skills would be essential in
order to meet those tasks.  I chose Reflect and Evaluate to concentrate on
in order to accomplish the tasks.

I then taught the standard Reflect and Evaluate prior to asking the students
to examine their values and beliefs and inventory their personal strengths
and weaknesses.

I then looked at the descriptors for Create and Pursue Vision and Goals.
The ones I chose to emphasize were, "articulate a vision that embodies your
values and goals, establish attainable goals that are compatible with that
vision, develop a realistic plan to move toward the vision and goals, and
create alternative means of meeting your goals."  When I reflected on these
tasks the skills important I chose to concentrate on Plan and Solve Problems
and Make Decisions.

The women then created a vision for their lives in writing.  I offered
prompts to respond to such as, "Create a picture of what you want your life
to look like, then describe it."   After everyone wrote a personal vision we
explored the standards Plan and Solve problems and Make Decisions as they
relate to the women's individual visions. For instance, during a class the
women were asked to fill out a goal sheet based on their vision.  They then
used the plan standard to create a plan for one of those goals. The final
exercise was to create a visual representation of their vision, goals and
plans.  They did this using quarter sheets of poster board, magazine
pictures, stickers and colorful markers.  These are proudly displayed in the
cellblocks as reminders of the positive changes these women are making.

I hope this has illustrated how I went from Common Activities to Standards.

Later,

Jenny

Jenny Ransone
NIFL-4EFF Discussion List Moderator