[NIFL-4EFF:2127] RE: Drug and Alcohol Recovery resources

From: Gardenfan@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 11:35:41 EDT

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:35:41 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Gardenfan@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2127] RE: Drug and Alcohol Recovery resources

Dear All,

In my library-based literacy program we work with our local residential
recovery program Project 90. Their approach to recovery includes a great deal
of reflective writing.  When men do not have the fluent writing skills to be
able to do the writing-based reflection, they are sometimes accused by their
groups of not really trying when actually they are not able to put their
deeper ideas into words and onto paper.

Our initial assessment of those referred to us starts with a discussion of
their goals using the role/goal map (page with the questions What do you want
to learn?  What do you want to be able to do?  surrounded by the the roles
and self).  We consider what they need immediately (writing is most critical)
and what their longer term goals are.  Frequently the men want to be able to
write to their families (often letters of apology for their past behavior) as
well as write for the program. I find that this discussion of their roles and
responsibilities in life dovetails very powerfully with the kinds of soul
searching that is going on in the rest of their program.

Our work with the men covers all the components of performance for Convey
Ideas in Writing.  We discuss the purpose of their writing (the recovery not
just completing the assignment).  We work on breaking habits of writing what
they can as opposed to what they really want to say by giving them tools for
writing first and fixing up later.    We encourage highlighting the spelling,
punctuation, word choice issues that they are not sure of to be able to
discuss them with their tutors, so they get feedback and help with making
sure their message is as close to what they meant as possible and will also
be credible in their peer groups.

Work with these men is a rewarding part of our program.  Although we don't
see the men for the longer amounts of time typical for our regular students,
we do see increases in skillfulness and in the men's belief that they can
learn and add to their education.  Some have had years incarcerated and many
didn't take advantage of education there.  At the time of their new start of
sobriety, increased literacy can be one of their means of maintaining
sobriety--not enough but part of the picture.

Caroline Beverstock
Project Read-San Mateo