[NIFL-4EFF:2110] EFF & Navigating Systems

From: Dawn Norris (Dawn_Norris@umit.maine.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 13:06:15 EDT

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:06:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Dawn Norris" <Dawn_Norris@umit.maine.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2110] EFF & Navigating Systems

I'd love to hear feedback on how teachers have used EFF to address the issue of trying to find specific info within a larger system.  Any thoughts?  (This topic came up for me as I'm working on my citizen role - see below.)

Here's the latest on my use of the citizen role:

I gained a basic understanding of the system that affects my chosen issue by using the skill “Learn Through Research”, transferring strategies from my worker role to that of citizen.  The transference of skills between roles worked well for me,
clarifying how to do what I needed to do.

I've realized that I need to find out the status of the Congressional bill affecting this issue, but have encountered difficulty when trying to find specific information on the Internet.  I have found general info from news articles, but trying to
find the bill itself or even its assigned number is frustrating.

Best regards,

Dawn Norris
EFF National Center Operations Coordinator
University of Maine
5766 Shibles Hall
Orono, ME 04469
Phone: (207) 581-2402 x11