[NIFL-4EFF:2035] Re: Following up on the five Why's

From: Bonnie Odiorne (bodiorne@c4k.org)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:24:18 EST

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:24:18 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Bonnie Odiorne" <bodiorne@c4k.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2035] Re:  Following up on the five Why's

I would like to second Kirk's motion, and enlarge the issue beyond New York
state. I believe that we are sending such a  mixed message to our students
because the constraints of our grants demand test level rises, GED, and/or
employment as the core indicators even of WIA programs, which incorporate
technology readiness, employability skills and family literacy into the more
traditional adult education purview. In our own recruitment for programs we
emphasize flexibility and attention to students' needs, goals, and
interests, yet the first thing we do when we get them in the door is give
them a barrage of standardized tests, a guarantee that they will go in
spirit to negative memories of previous schooling despite our best
assurances. I need monitoring of my own effectiveness, research-based best
practices, or the means to implement my own classroom procedures as a
research project. I want performance measures for me and for my students
that I don't have to reinvent , and a true commitment to a different model
of the educational process for those who have already fallen through the
cracks. My whole educational career has almost without my realizing it been
devoted to alternative structures for learning. We have the scaffolding on
which to build. But we need a voice greater than our own classrooms.
Bonnie Odiorne, Ph.D.
WisdomWays, Program Facilitation
Computers 4 Kids, Waterbury, CT
bodiorne@erols.com