[NIFL-4EFF:2000] Re: EFF and GED classrooms

From: Emily McDonald (emilychad@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 10:39:11 EST

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:39:11 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Emily McDonald <emilychad@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2000] Re:  EFF and GED classrooms

 Jeffrey and Sally,
Great description Jeffrey!  Sounds like we pretty much do the same activity.  The history of the Five Why's - I'm not sure but I found it in an Airforce Quality improvement manual that I received from a mentor.
Emily
  Emily McDonald <emilychad@yahoo.com> wrote:
 Hello Everyone,
I am glad that others are using the Five Why's and others are interested in trying it.  I am working on a brief description of it so that I can send it out to you - and it may be a possible activity that could be written up for the next Hot Topics issue.  I'll post the brief description by the end of the day.
Thanks again for the feedback,
Emily McDonald
  Sylvia Provenski <SylviaProvenski@nald.ca> wrote: Jeffery et al,

Would anyone know where I could find more info on the 5 Whys?  As a new Student Advisor in an adult learning centre (which also offers pre-college studies)  I have found that many students have a difficult time answering the question "What are your goals for the future".  Their first answer I usually get is "to get my grade 12".  After that they really struggle.  I should add that this question is one of many that are asked at the first of several interviews.  Once a student has been accepted into the program,we then spend more time reflecting on their goals and how those goals will inform us as to which courses they will  be enrolled in while working towards their high school diploma.

As a Canadian, I am not familiar with the EFF curriculum, but it does sound very well thought out and very useful for adult education ! centres such as ours.
Sylvia P.