[NIFL-4EFF:1983] Re: EFF and GED classrooms

From: Jones, Karen (jonesk@sosmail.state.mo.us)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 18:36:23 EST

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:36:23 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jones, Karen" <jonesk@sosmail.state.mo.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:1983] Re:  EFF and GED classrooms

My last teaching was in a program that was focused on turning out GED's and
not too tolerant of other activities and I've had many students over the
years who just wanted the GED and out.  The commodification of education is
an issue, too.

But even if the student won't budge on that "GED and leave me alone"
attitude, it seems to me that even in narrow pursuit of a GED s/he is
working with Read with Understanding (the subject area tests), Convey Ideas
in Writing (essay), Observe Critically (subject areas questions and math),
Use Math to Solve Problems and Communicate (math section, some science and
social studies), Take Responsibility for Learning, Plan (getting ready for
the test, scheduling it, managing time while testing), Reflect and Evaluate
(again, the subject area questions and essay), Learn Through Research (need
some background knowledge to pass the test and need to know what it is like
and what to study), and now that there is a scientific calculator involved,
a bit of Use Information and Communications Technology.  And at the test
site s/he will need Listen Actively.  I guess I'd get to know the student
before I pushed the issue, but it seems to me that s/he IS working on the
standards and therefore somewhat within in the framework while pursuing the
GED. Maybe that is a place to start.

It also strikes me (although I struggle with it) that if we really believe
in valuing people different from ourselves and empowering and starting with
student needs and adult responsibility, we may have to occasionally accept
and do our best by a student who won't buy in; we may have to live with the
fact that for that person at that time  the narrow academic focus was a way
of "defining what one is trying to achieve" and "making and pursuing plans
for self-improvement."  Karen Jones