[NIFL-4EFF:2210] EFF/TV411 Crosswalk and A Busy Teacher's Guide to EFF Lesson Plan

From: Spacone, Ronna (Contractor) (Ronna.Spacone@ed.gov)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 15:17:00 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:17:00 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Spacone, Ronna (Contractor)" <Ronna.Spacone@ed.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:2210] EFF/TV411 Crosswalk and A Busy Teacher's Guide to EFF Lesson Plan

What's new in Teacher/Tutor Resources from EFF partners?
http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/collections/eff/teacher.html#Partners

1. The EFF/TV411 Crosswalk (2002) presents the cooperative efforts of
Equipped for the Future (EFF) and Adult Literacy Media Alliance staff to
correlate the TV411 video and print materials with the EFF Content Standards
and Role Maps. It is designed to help instructors use EFF and TV411
together. Under each standard is a list of the video segments that support
multiple components of that standard. For each video segment listed there is
a summary of its content and the relevant roles. The publication also
contains the EFF Content Standards, the Role Maps, an introduction to the
crosswalk and the TV411 curriculum and the EFF Content Framework. Available
online at:  http://www.tv411.org/teacher_resources/pdf/EFF_TV411.pdf

2. A Busy Teacher's Guide to Equipped for the Future Lesson Planning (2000)
by Mary Kay Alegre, Arlington Education and Employment Program.
http://www.aelweb.vcu.edu/publications/teacher_guide/
This guide is designed to help teachers understand the EFF Content Standards
and terminology, and create an EFF lesson. It describes how one teacher (the
author) planned for and built an integrated EFF lesson. Contains a sample
ESL instructional unit with student handouts. Here's an excerpt from Part 4:
How Did You Do That? What an Integrated EFF Lesson Looks Like:

"So, to build a unit on "Using the Internet", based on the EFF Content
Standards, I needed to thoughtfully consider the components of the
particular Standard I was focusing on and the Common Activities associated
with that Standard. I would need to determine my approach by considering the
Relevancy to students lives, The Purposes for which they will use the skills
outside of class; and The Roles they are responsible for outside of class. I
would need to add components and activities to the unit to ensure a lesson
that somehow integrated all of these things-not just pieces of the whole."

Have a good weekend,

Ronna

Ronna Spacone
EFF Special Collection Coordinator