[NIFL-4EFF:1974] RE: EFF friendly textbook criteria

From: j ransone (jransone2@jcplin.org)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 17:28:57 EST

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:28:57 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov
From: j ransone <jransone2@jcplin.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-4eff@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-4EFF:1974] RE:  EFF friendly textbook criteria

Hi everyone,

I am posting this message for Paul Schroeder who was unable to post it to
the 4EFF list.  If you are subscribed to the NIFL-ESL list, you may
recognize the message as he posted it there as well.  If you have comments
for Paul, please post them to the list as well.  Your fellow EFFers will be
interested in them as well!

Jenny

From: paul schroeder [mailto:pschroeder@kennett.net]

La Comunidad Hispana, a non-profit organization in Kennett Square, PA., is
working on a program improvement inititative. We would like to survey other
adult ESL agencies that use the EFF framework in order to develop criteria
for choosing EFF friendly textbooks.

We would like you to develop a few characteristics for what you consider to
be an EFF friendly textbook. In addition, we would also like everyone to
submit examples of ESL textbook activities that suggest an EFF friendly
approach.

We have developed our own set of criteria. It is listed below:
1. Help students think critically about their goals.
2. Guide students in identifying and prioritizing their goals.
3. Integrate the responsibilities of the 3 roles.
4. Address the constant change in demands of adults.
5. Contain purposeful, real-world learning activities.
6. Teach life skills in conjuction with English.
7. Provide ways to become successful in skills other than language.
8. Promote a flexible format to accommodate various skill levels and goals.
9. Individualize learning to apply to the specific experiences of students.
10. Provoke students to extend experiences to new areas.

For survey purposes, we hope to have any information sent to us by the end
of January 2002.

Respectfully,
LCH staff