[NIFL-FAMILY:823] RE: Concern about federal support for

From: Ted Rohling (tedr@instructors.net)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:49:15 EST

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:49:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ted Rohling" <tedr@instructors.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:823] RE: Concern about federal support for

We are vitally involved in our the school life of our 8 year old
daugher...the last one in school.  We have a reading time each week where my
wife or I read a book and do a small project with the class as a respit for
the teacher.  We are involved in fundraising but we also have free access to
the school, the principle, the teachers and the other parents in a
collaborative environment.

It is a small Catholic school that was formed outside of the local church
hierarchy.  We raise funds to pay the bills.  Our "cafeteria" is funded by
students, not federal funds for school lunch programs.  Teacher aides are
not paid, they are volunteer parents.  Our principle is a retired public
school principle who loves the kids and loves his new "job".  Our coach
taught at a local high school for 30 years and is thrilled with the
excitement of the smaller children.  We have no teacher union.  We have no
large administration.  We have people who care about the education of their
kids.

I remember when I was a bit younger.  We went to a one room school with all
eight grades taught by one teacher.  There were 12 kids.  How the teacher
kept track of all of the different learning needs and made sure the children
got what they needed was a stroke of genious.  The teacher was my mother.
She didn't have a degree but did have a certificate.  She finished her
degree, got a masters and then a library endorsement.  I guess I take after
her a bit.  I have a bachelors, a masters, finishing another masters in
adult education.  A Phd is on the horizon.  Why?  Because I was that that
learning was fun...at 54 it still is!

Sylvan asks below, where are the parents of the children?  I wish I knew so
I could tell them how important it is not to come to parents night but to be
at school all of the time, building a relationship of learning with their
children.  We spend hours making sure they have sports, dance, and other
social stuff.  Too bad we don't spend the same amount of time making sure
they have a good education.