[NIFL-FAMILY:641] Re: Identifying and Supporting Low

From: BRmidwest@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 21:02:42 EST

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:02:42 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: BRmidwest@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:641] Re: Identifying and Supporting Low

In deciding what "words" to use with ESL or literacy learners, I think we
need to follow the same common sense that we use when addressing any person.

It makes sense NOT to use a fancy word when a simple, direct word will
do--this makes sense even when we are communicating with highly educated
people.  (That's PEOPLE, not "individuals"!)

On the other hand, I think it's always important to use the RIGHT word.
Sometimes the right word or phrase is long (e.g. "presidential candidate").
Sometimes it is short but unfamiliar to the ESL or low-literacy listener
(e.g. "mock").  Sometimes it is a familiar word used in an unfamiliar way
(e.g. "party" or "platform" (as in a political party or platform)).

If you are familiar with the audience and observe what the audience does or
does not understand, you can tell which words and phrases--short or
long--will be tricky.  If you feel that the word or phrase IS the right one
(and not just some pretentious, high-falutin' jibber-jabber), then you can
sensitively help the audience to understand what you are saying.  Of course
there are many ways to help your audience understand, depending on the
situation.  Some possibilities are the following:
--State the word/phrase--then restate it or explain it (in a natural way).
--Write the word/phrase down when you say it, so the listener can SEE what
you are saying.
--Repeat the word or phrase as necessary in a natural way.  Keep coming back
to it.
--Know when it's fine just to say the word or phrase and move on--when the
particular word/phrase need not be understood to follow what you are trying
to communicate overall.

(Note that these are rules that any good university professor uses in
addressing graduate students... or that any family literacy practitioner uses
when making an effective presentation at, say, the NCFL conference.)

For example, let's say you are telling a group of parents about a special
project that took place in a 4th-grade class--a mock presidential election.
Assume, in this case, that you are on comfortable terms with the parents
already and you know that most of them have little formal education. As you
speak, you might point to the classroom posters or displays that include the
words "mock election" and "presidential candidates." You would speak in a
friendly, expressive way and might say something like:

"In class, the children held a mock election--a pretend election.  Yeah, they
got to pretend they were voting for president! (They were so enthusiastic!)
So there were two candidates in this mock election--two kids running for
president: Ryan and Lucy. Here's a picture of those two presidential
candidates..."  etc.

It looks odd to see the above written down--but if you are talking and you
are paying attention to your audience, you can make a good guess as to how
much they need.  Some listeners will need a lot of repetition and
restatement. Others will pick up right away on what you are saying. (Of
course you do need to KNOW your audience.  We have all been in a situation
where someone nods his or her head and seems to understand everything but is
really getting nothing. In fact, at some point, we've all probably nodded our
heads knowingly when someone was telling us something incomprehensible to us.
The better you know your audience, the better you can tell if they are really
understanding.)

In any case, you want to be sure to use an ADULT tone of voice and be careful
not to be so repetitive that you sound patronizing, goofy, or just plain
boring.

I think the worst mistake is to try to follow any kind of strict or
simplistic rules for communicating with anyone.  Realize you are in a dynamic
situation that includes communication both ways.  It is more important to be
aware, observant, and sensitive and to take advantage of INTERACTION with the
listeners.

At least, that's what I opine.

;-)

Betsy Rubin