[NIFL-FAMILY:806] Re: COABE plantation tour

From: Carol Mazer (cmazer@pcc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 15:09:11 EST

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:09:11 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Carol Mazer <cmazer@pcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:806] Re: COABE plantation tour

--=====================_1991313==_.ALT

Thank you, Janet, for bringing this to our attention and providing a well
thought and informed response to the issue. As educators, our modeling of
critical thinking, questioning and speaking out are even more important
than the lessons we plan. Please feel free to add my name in support of
your letter should you care to.
Best, Carol Mazer

Carol Mazer
Family Literacy Programs Coordinator
PCC Literacy Center of W. Washington County
1001 S.W. Baseline Ave.
Hillsboro, OR 97123

503 693-3237
fax: 503 648-4175
cmazer@pcc.edu

At 11:49 AM 2/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
>  "As soon as I got off that bus, I knew where I was," he said.
>  Lined a few yards from the street were nine slave houses, three
>  unrepaired after damage done during Hurricane   Hugo in 1989. The
>  buildings were cloaked in the original brick, made at the plantation,
>  with shells still stuck in    the cement between the bricks.
>
>  The group headed to the main house for the tour and was greeted by a
>  blonde young woman in an     old-fashioned blue dress, complete with
>  hoops to flare out the skirt. They met the tour guide, who then
>  focused     the tour on the antique furniture and mentioned little
>  about slavery.
>
>    Belcher said he was upset because the slaves were referred to as
>  "craftsmen" and "they" instead of overtly   recognizing the enslavement.
>  "It was a wonderful demonstration of erasing history," Belcher said.
>  Many others said they were upset with the production.    "It was like
>  they knew what happened but they were hiding it," said Taiwo Oladapo,
>  a junior chemical  engineering major.
>
>  After the tour Belcher sat on a bench outside the plantation while
>  the others either did handstands in the   backyard or lounged around
>  the ancient oak trees, many taller than the main house. Belcher said
>  he found racism in the reconstruction after the hurricane.
>
>  "The slaves' quarters were destroyed but the gardens were maintained,"
> he said.
>
>  The plantation does offer another tour, led by a historian who takes
>  the group through the slave quarters, said  Julie Rose, Boone Hall
>  office manager. "[The tour] is all about how the slaves would have
> lived," she said.
>
>  I thank you for your attention to this matter and look forward to
>  your response.
>
>  Janet Isserlis,  joined by Heide Spruck Wrigley, Elsa Auerbach, Andy
> Nash and Mary Ann
>  Florez, Maria Elena Gonzalez  and Judy Titzel
>

>COABE's response:
>
>COABE 2002 offers the tours described in the registration brochure for the
>pleasure of conference participants.  The tour description is the one offered
>by the tour company and the Charleston Visitors Bureau.
>
>[me again, to this list] Again, finally, my intent here is not to
>embarrass or malign anyone, but to make us all aware of a learning
>opportunity -- not only in terms of the way in which the tour is
>described, but in the fact that such a tour could provide either a strong
>learning experience or render us, again, complicit in disappearing this
>country's history of slavery and in perpetuating an insidious form of
>racism in so doing.

--=====================_1991313==_.ALT

Thank you, Janet, for bringing this to our attention and providing a well
thought and informed response to the issue. As educators, our modeling of
critical thinking, questioning and speaking out are even more important
than the lessons we plan. Please feel free to add my name in support of
your letter should you care to.<br>
Best, Carol Mazer<br><br>
Family Literacy Programs Coordinator<br>
County<br>
1001 S.W. Baseline Ave.<br>
Hillsboro, OR 97123<br><br>
fax: 503 648-4175<br>
cmazer@pcc.edu<br><br>
I'm sending you copies of a message I sent to COABE and the response that
I received from them about a tour they've included amongst their
offerings (f tours/trips) during their upcoming conference.&nbsp; My
intention here is not to malign COABE necessarily, but to bring to our
collective attention the fact that an important learning opportunity
risks being neglected.&nbsp; I have never organized a national
conference, and can't imagine the level of detail that such an event
necessitates.&nbsp; Nonetheless, it feels important to be mindful of
learning opportunities -- found and neglected --&nbsp; and it is in this
spirit that I offer the following, with apologies to those to whom this
will be cross posted.<br><br>
Janet Isserlis<br><br>
[my letter to COABE]&nbsp; To whom it may concern:<br><br>
&nbsp;I received your brochure yesterday and was startled, angered and
saddened at the description of the Boone Hall Plantation tour you provide
therein.&nbsp; Your text:<br><br>
&nbsp;Boone Hall Plantation Tour<br><br>
&nbsp;Go back in time to the antebellum days when plantation life in the
South was self-sustaining and held a charm all its own. Arrive at Boone
Hall Plantation through the famour three-quarter mile &quot;Avenue of
Oaks.&quot; Boone Hall was granted to one of South Carolina's first
Settles, Major John Boone, in 1676. Originally a cotton plantation, Boone
Hall spread over 17,000 acres. Hand-made brick and tile were also
manufactured on the plantation. These same brick [sic] have been
identified in the mansion, garden walls, slave cabins and many of
Charleston's oldest and most historic buildings. This plantation has been
used in the filming of &quot;Gone with the Wind,&quot; and more recently,
&quot;North and South.&quot; Enjoy a guided tour of the grounds followed
by a guided tour of the mansion.<br><br>
&nbsp;Your narrative completely obliterates any possibility of
problematizing&nbsp; issues of race and racism inherent in slavery as it
was practiced on the plantation, thereby&nbsp; reducing what could be
viewed as a powerful opportunity to witness a terrible force in history
to an attractive side trip, part of the local color.&nbsp; I am deeply
saddened that a group of educators would not be more attentive to the
implicitly racist point of view given in your text.&nbsp; Where we have
an opportunity to educate ourselves, and by extension, those with whom we
learn and teach, you have done nothing to promote a critical stance, or
even the asking of important questions. Instead, your text promotes a
romanticized, sanitized glimpse of the backdrop to &quot;Gone with the
Wind,&quot; itself a film that is open to discussion. I fervently hope
that you consider writing a more appropriate description as an insert to
the brochure and create links on your web site that facilitate a more
educational exploration of our history.<br><br>
&nbsp;The following two excerpts provide examples of ways in which a more
critical stance might be developed so that a trip to the plantation might
result in more than the acquisition of local color and could, instead,
provide an impetus for those present to reflect upon and/or reconsider
not only their own understanding of slavery and racism in this country,
but also the ways in which those things are taken up in the educational
contexts in which they work.<br><br>
&nbsp;Another account, written by a student<br>
&nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.scriptllc.com/oudc/thetrip.html"=
 eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.scriptllc.com/oudc/thetrip.html><br><br>
&nbsp;During our visit to Charleston, we went to the Boone Hall
Plantation.<br>
&nbsp;I was overcome with emotion and found myself crying
uncontrollably.<br>
&nbsp;It was as&nbsp; if all the slaves who lived there came to me at
once to<br>
&nbsp;tell me their horrible&nbsp;&nbsp; tales. The experience was
overwhelming. The<br>
&nbsp;entire tour of the plantation was conducted without a single
mention<br>
&nbsp;of slaves. The tour guide&nbsp; discussed the architecture and
the<br>
&nbsp;furnishings in the house extensively&nbsp;&nbsp; including the
floors, tables,<br>
&nbsp;china and silver. The trees were mentioned&nbsp;&nbsp; many times.
But the<br>
&nbsp;people who built the plantation, the people who lived&nbsp; there,
some of<br>
&nbsp;whom died there, the people who worked from sunrise to&nbsp;&nbsp;
sunrise,<br>
&nbsp;these people were never mentioned.<br><br>
&nbsp;As an African-American, it was not surprising&nbsp;&nbsp; that the
plantation<br>
&nbsp;evoked profound feelings and&nbsp; emotions in me. My Jewish
peers,<br>
&nbsp;however, were&nbsp; also moved and were as outraged as we
African-<br>
&nbsp;Americans. They questioned the tour guide about&nbsp; what they
understood<br>
&nbsp;to be a humiliating&nbsp; oversight. We all learned a great deal
from the<br>
&nbsp;experience. Even though we may not have&nbsp; entirely understood
one<br>
&nbsp;another, we learned that it is important to be sensitive to other
people and&nbsp; to respect one<br>
&nbsp;another's feelings. This trip taught us how to be tolerant. I
have<br>
&nbsp;learned one very&nbsp; important lesson: we African-American
people&nbsp; must<br>
&nbsp;learn to love ourselves. We must learn about ourselves in order
to<br>
&nbsp;stand strong with others. And we must all know about each other
in<br>
&nbsp;order to understand. After the summer trip, my commitment to<br>
&nbsp;enlighten others and to learn are considerably stronger. I had
a<br>
&nbsp;chance to get to know the other students better; I also learned
a<br>
&nbsp;great deal about myself.<br><br>
&nbsp;And this, an account of a tour taken despite the NCAAP boycott in
2000<br>
&nbsp;<a=
 href=3D"http://www.inform.umd.edu/News/Diamondback/00-02-29/news1.html"=
 eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.inform.umd.edu/News/Diamondback/00-02-29/news=
&nbsp;At about 3 p.m. the bus stopped at the Boone Hall Plantation,
a<br>
&nbsp;17,000-acre farm when it was established in 1681, according=20
to<br>
&nbsp;brochures. Three hundred years later,&nbsp;&nbsp; the farm has
shrunk to 738 acres.<br>
&nbsp;The tour bus drove down the half-mile dirt drive shrouded by
Spanish<br>
&nbsp;moss-covered oak trees. Jason Wiles, a&nbsp; senior
entertainment<br>
&nbsp;management major, said he could feel the reminders of=20
slavery.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;As soon as I got off that bus, I knew where I was,&quot; he
said.<br>
&nbsp;Lined a few yards from the street were nine slave houses,
three<br>
&nbsp;unrepaired after damage done during Hurricane&nbsp;&nbsp; Hugo in
1989. The<br>
&nbsp;buildings were cloaked in the original brick, made at the
plantation,<br>
&nbsp;with shells still stuck in&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; the cement between the
bricks.<br><br>
&nbsp;The group headed to the main house for the tour and was greeted by
a<br>
&nbsp;blonde young woman in an&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; old-fashioned blue
dress, complete with<br>
&nbsp;hoops to flare out the skirt. They met the tour guide, who
then<br>
&nbsp;focused&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; the tour on the antique furniture
and mentioned little<br>
&nbsp;about slavery.<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Belcher said he was upset because the slaves were referred
to as<br>
&nbsp;&quot;craftsmen&quot; and &quot;they&quot; instead of
overtly&nbsp;&nbsp; recognizing the enslavement.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;It was a wonderful demonstration of erasing history,&quot;
Belcher said.<br>
&nbsp;Many others said they were upset with the
production.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;It was like<br>
&nbsp;they knew what happened but they were hiding it,&quot; said Taiwo
Oladapo,<br>
&nbsp;a junior chemical&nbsp; engineering major.<br><br>
&nbsp;After the tour Belcher sat on a bench outside the plantation
while<br>
&nbsp;the others either did handstands in the&nbsp;&nbsp; backyard or
lounged around<br>
&nbsp;the ancient oak trees, many taller than the main house. Belcher
said<br>
&nbsp;he found racism in the reconstruction after the=20
hurricane.<br><br>
&nbsp;&quot;The slaves' quarters were destroyed but the gardens were
maintained,&quot; he said.<br><br>
&nbsp;The plantation does offer another tour, led by a historian who
takes<br>
&nbsp;the group through the slave quarters, said&nbsp; Julie Rose, Boone
Hall<br>
&nbsp;office manager. &quot;[The tour] is all about how the slaves would
have lived,&quot; she said.<br><br>
&nbsp;I thank you for your attention to this matter and look forward
to<br>
&nbsp;your response.<br><br>
&nbsp;Janet Isserlis,&nbsp; joined by Heide Spruck Wrigley, Elsa
Auerbach, Andy Nash and Mary Ann<br>
&nbsp;Florez, Maria Elena Gonzalez&nbsp; and Judy Titzel<br><br>
COABE's response:<br><br>
COABE 2002 offers the tours described in the registration brochure for
the<br>
pleasure of conference participants.&nbsp; The tour description is the
one offered<br>
by the tour company and the Charleston Visitors Bureau.<br><br>
[me again, to this list] Again, finally, my intent here is not to
embarrass or malign anyone, but to make us all aware of a learning
opportunity -- not only in terms of the way in which the tour is
described, but in the fact that such a tour could provide either a strong
learning experience or render us, again, complicit in disappearing this
country's history of slavery and in perpetuating an insidious form of
racism in so doing.<br>