[NIFL-FAMILY:829] family literacy and Even Start in corrections

From: Sheri Campbell (S_L_Campbell@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 23:51:00 EST

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:51:00 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sheri Campbell" <S_L_Campbell@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:829] family literacy and Even Start in corrections

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C1C098.CDB92730

Hello!

I recently began work on a feasibility study to expand our family =
literacy program at Coffee Creek Correctional Institution in =
Wilsonville, Oregon.  We currently serve around 15 minimum security =
women (it is a women's prison) at the site with twice monthly =
programming that consists of a two hour adults-only parenting curriculum =
and a two hour PACT (parents and children together) time the following =
day.  Our dream is to expand the program to serve more women and the =
services available to them, provide enhanced services to support the =
children and custodial parents/caregivers and increase community =
partnerships.

I've spoken with two Even Start programs (one in NY and one in KY) and a =
dozen or so other programs that are doing some facet of Family Literacy =
in corrections settings.  However, I KNOW I haven't found everyone out =
there yet!  I am a firm believer in building on existing best practices =
and would love any information about relevant programs or research that =
might assist me.  If you can give me a lead, I'll follow up with phone =
calls and maybe even a site visit.

Thank you in advance for any guidance, ideas or inspiration you can =
provide!

Sheri Campbell
phone - 503.282.0593
cell - 503.380.5303
e-mail  - S_L_Campbell@hotmail.com

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C1C098.CDB92730

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I recently began work on a feasibility =
study to=20
expand our family literacy program at Coffee Creek Correctional =
Institution in=20
Wilsonville, Oregon.&nbsp; We currently serve around 15 minimum security =
women=20
(it is a women's prison) at the site with twice monthly programming that =

consists of a two hour adults-only parenting curriculum and a two hour =
PACT=20
(parents and children together) time the following day.&nbsp; Our dream =
is to=20
expand the program to serve more women and the services available to =
them,=20
provide enhanced services to support the children and custodial=20
parents/caregivers and&nbsp;increase community =
partnerships.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've spoken with two Even Start =
programs (one in NY=20
and one in KY) and a dozen or so other programs that are doing some =
facet of=20
Family Literacy in corrections settings.&nbsp; However, I KNOW I haven't =
found=20
everyone out there yet!&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I =
am&nbsp;a firm=20
believer in building on existing best practices and would love any =
information=20
about relevant programs or research that might assist me.&nbsp; If you =
can give=20
me a lead, I'll follow up with phone calls and maybe even a site=20
visit.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you in advance for any guidance, =
ideas or=20
inspiration you can provide!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sheri Campbell</FONT><FONT face=3DArial =

size=3D2><BR>phone - 503.282.0593<BR>cell - 503.380.5303<BR>e-mail&nbsp; =
- <A=20
href=3D"mailto:S_L_Campbell@hotmail.com">S_L_Campbell@hotmail.com</A><BR>=
</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006F_01C1C098.CDB92730--