[NIFL-FAMILY:1308] Re: ESL Parenting question

From: mev@litwomen.org
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 20:39:09 EDT

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:39:09 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "mev@litwomen.org" <mev@litwomen.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1308] Re: ESL Parenting question

I agree with Janet.

as an aside, there's a new in paperback children's book relevant for
this time of year. It's called "Shy Mama's Halloween." It features an
Eastern European family who recently immigrated to the US. The children
are excited to participate in this new holiday but mom is anxious about
it. Language, unfamiliarity, and spookiness make her fearful of it.
Immigrants new to the US may find this story familiar to their own
first experiences with unfamiliar US customs.

Shy Mama's Halloween, Anne Broyles, published by Tilbury House,
(www.tilburyhouse.com, 1-800-582-1899) isbn 0-88448-245-6. Hardcover in
2000, paperback in 2002.

Mev

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 06:33 PM, Janet Isserlis wrote:

> Colleen
>
> It seems important to start with what the parents know and with what
> they want to know.  Finding ways to invite them to talk about their
> kids, their own beliefs about families and what parents do -- without
> putting anyone on the spot, and without setting up judgements, might
> be a way to get going.  If parents can identify areas that they want
> to know about -- or to see how "americans" parent (I use quotes to
> indicate that there is no One American way -- it could be a way to
> surface issues that they want to learn about, talk about, or share
> ideas about.

WE LEARN
Women Expanding: Literacy Education Action Resource Network
www.litwomen.org/welearn.html

Mev Miller, Ed.D., Coordinator
160 Gano St.
Providence, RI 02906