[NIFL-FAMILY:1242] EFF changes

From: Jon Lee (jlee@famlit.org)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 09:10:15 EDT

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:10:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jon Lee" <jlee@famlit.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1242] EFF changes

"Dear Friends and Colleagues:

I am writing to share with you some important changes we are making in the
organization of Equipped for the Future training and technical assistance.

Starting October 1, 2002 all EFF training and technical assistance will be
coordinated through the Center for Literacy Studies (CLS) at the University
of Tennessee-Knoxville.

Jean Stephens, Director of CLS, and Brenda Bell, Associate Director of CLS
and a long time member of the EFF Management Team, have been working this
summer with Lisa Levinson, Dawn Norris, and staff at the University of Maine
- Orono to assure that the transition goes smoothly with minimal disruption
to existing training and technical assistance services.

We have decided to make these changes for a number of reasons. Over the past
year EFF staff and trainers have been meeting to integrate findings from
work on the EFF Assessment Framework into all EFF training and materials. We
have put together several teams that include staff from both the EFF
Assessment Consortium (SRI International and CLS) and the EFF National
Center (University of Maine-Orono and World Education) to work on products
that will be available this fall.

This joint work has been exciting and demanding. We realized that to better
meet the needs of all EFF users we needed to find ways to integrate out work
even more. When Lisa Levinson decided earlier this year that she planned to
step down from her position as Director of the National Center effective
June 30th, it provided a natural opportunity for us to take the next step
and merge all training and technical assistance functions in one central
location.

The expanded EFF Center at the Center for Literacy Studies will manage and
coordinate all training, technical assistance and product development for
EFF with some support functions continuing at University of Maine- Orono and
World Education. Assessment-related research and development will continue
at SRI International, in partnership with CLS.

This summer will be a time of transition for us. All National Center staff
will continue to work from their current locations over the summer. Jean and
Brenda will take over Lisa's role in working with states and other partners
to develop and implement training plans. Day to day operations of the Center
will continue to be managed from the Orono office by Dawn Norris. By October
1, 2002 the center of operations will move to Knoxville, with key staff
positions located at CLS.

Lisa has been part of the EFF development process for many years and we will
miss her leadership. She has definitely earned some time off! We look
forward to her rejoining us to work on Special Projects when her leave is
ended.

We are very excited about the changes ahead. Please feel free to call or
email me
(sstein@nifl.gov or 202-233-2041) or Jean (jjstephe@utk.edu or 865-974-6610)
or Brenda(bsbell@utk.edu or 865-974-6654) -- if you have any questions or
ideas to share. We look forward to continuing our work with you as we work
to better equip ourselves for the future.

Sincerely,
Sondra Stein
EFF National Director
Senior Research Associate, NIFL "