[NIFL-FAMILY:826] Re: Adults with Learning Disabilities

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 19:55:54 EST

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:55:54 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:826] Re: Adults with Learning Disabilities

At 05:53 PM 02/28/2002 -0500, Steve Rainey wrote:

>Just to add a quick note (that doesn't necessarily apply to the adults
>above, but may). The symptoms resulting from the effects of trauma -
>common, if not universal, in refugee populations - are nearly identical to
>learning disabilities and often get diagnosed as such. The trauma has to
>be treated to address the symptoms.

Yes, good point. In our program we also address social service needs, and
can often find ways to help people get what they need in terms of
counseling, food, housing, etc. Even so, there are still people who I can
definitely see are willing, trying, cheerful and all that, but still have
trouble learning.

Sylvan Rainwater  .  sylvan@cccchs.org
Adult Education Teacher and Family Literacy Program Manager
Clackamas County Children's Commission  .  Oregon City, OR USA