[NIFL-FAMILY:786] Alternative family material-cross post from Women and Literacy listserv

From: Daphne Greenberg (epedgg@panther.Gsu.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 09:09:35 EST

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:09:35 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Daphne Greenberg <epedgg@panther.Gsu.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:786] Alternative family material-cross post from Women and Literacy listserv

This was posted on the Women and literacy listserv and I thought that some of
you may be interested:
There is really quite a good collection of "alternative family" material for
ESOL and ABE classrooms and programs. Actually one of the best that I've seen
is a video and accompanying teacher's guide intended for K-12 classrooms but
easily adaptable for adults It's called "That's a Family!" Created by Debra
Chasnoff and Helen S.Cohen at Women's Educational Media, this video and
accompanying teacher's guide explores all kinds of families- queer ones,
straight ones, bi-racial ones, ones families where the parents are separated
and the children are being raised by both parents, to name a few of the
scenarios that the film offers. You can order the video from their Web site at:
http://www.womedia.org

In addition, for those of you attending the TESOL convention this year in Salt
Lake City, I wantedto share an exciting first: the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,
Transgender and Friends Caucus of TESOL is sponsoring a caucus colloquium
entitled: "Queer Culture as Multiculturalism." The colloquium is slated for
Thursday, April 11th from 2- 3:45 p.m. and will be held at the
Marriott Downtown, Ballroom Salon B. Our intention is to share very real and
practical experiences of being a gay,lesbian, bisexual, transgender teacher,
student, researcher and of strategies and questions about how to open up our
programs to honor students who may be queer. All are invited!

Be well,
Deborah Schwartz