[NIFL-FAMILY:587] RE: Attitudes in schools

From: Mary Hendrick (mhendrick@rrohio.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 15:14:31 EST

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:14:31 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Mary Hendrick <mhendrick@rrohio.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:587] RE: Attitudes in schools

I think it is very difficult for teachers to approach parents with low
literacy skills because they don't want the potential conflict.  I suggest
to school teachers that they tell parents about our family literacy program
and that it can help their children in school.  Then we assess parents
during orientation.  Adult literacy class participation is mandatory in our
program. It's a little indirect, but it works.
It also sounds like your school's could use learner sensitivity training.