[NIFL-FAMILY:1144] Re: Fun question

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 19:46:20 EDT

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:46:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1144] Re: Fun question

At 02:27 AM 05/30/2002 -0400, Colleen Angaiak wrote:
>We are wrapping up the first year of an Even Start
>grant.  Due to a late start and slower than
>anticipated enrollment (on my director's part, I'm
>happy with where we're at!), we have a budget surplus.
>  So, within reason, I'd love to hear what other
>programs would do with a little extra cash. <SNIP>

Sometimes you can get permission to carry over funds to the following year,
especially if you earmark it for a particular purpose. Here are some other
ideas: laptops definitely, GED books for students (pretty expensive), or
other books (dictionaries, text books, reference books), classroom
equipment (more cribs, strollers, etc. for the baby room, for example), or
what about child care for the parents to take summer classes at a local
college?

I found that in Adult Ed, it was not difficult to spend $1000 on books
without even having to work hard. We don't usually have to buy many books
for children, because we get RIF and sometimes other donations of books for
them. Though we do buy children's books for the classroom.

Sylvan Rainwater  .  sylvan@cccchs.org
Adult Education Teacher and Family Literacy Program Manager
Clackamas County Children's Commission  .  Oregon City, OR USA