[NIFL-FAMILY:1046] RE: Home visits

From: Virginia Tardaewether (tarv@exchange.chemeketa.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 15:35:44 EDT

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:35:44 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Virginia Tardaewether <tarv@exchange.chemeketa.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1046] RE: Home visits

I have some understanding of the trust issue.  One just needs to think of
the history of your Russians, etc. perhaps to see why governmental trust
might be an issue. My family was investigated by the FBI because they talked
Russian on a party telephone line.  We  have plenty of US born students with
similar feelings.

As an adult educator, I have found home visits to be imensely helpful as an
evaluation of the effectiveness of my classroom lessons.  When you do
lessons around nutrition, the contents of shelves and refrigerators should
change as a result.  What better place to see truly the impact of your
teachings.  If you talk about childhood safety yet go to the home and see
numerous unsafe items that you had talked about, well it lets you know that
the lesson didn't transfer to another environment and that you need to
revisit the concepts.  PLUS it is wonderful to have the children and adults
show you their home, special places and nick nacks.

Va

Virginia Tardaewether

Chemeketa {Place of Peace}
Outreach Instructor