[NIFL-FAMILY:1028] Re: Parents as first teachers (long)

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 17:57:34 EDT

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:57:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1028] Re: Parents as first teachers (long)

Tracie,

Why don't you try one and see how it goes?  Then you would know whether it
would suit others or not.  When I had conferences, I always asked first
something like:  "I am eager to talk about x, but first I would be interested
to hear from you how the year is going."  Then I could adjust what I said to
what the parent wanted to say and we could have a real conversation.  I'm
telling you this because I think you should communicate this to the teacher
right away.  Don't hold back.  The teacher knows only part of the story, what
you have to say is crucial.  You may be a novice at flash cards, but you are
an expert at your child and the teacher needs your help to know how to work
with your child.

  Also, I think it is important for the parent to tell what things are
important to you, goals you might have for your child.  I had a conference
with a parent once who hesitatingly told me she wanted her daughter to be
excused early 2 days a week to continue her practice ice skating.  We worked
it out fine--one happy mother, one happy child.

Andrea